Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1971 Charger Repaint

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Dec 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

I've been very disappointed in the quality of the paint job I received when I color changed from Plum Crazy to Ivory Tri-Coat Pearl. So, I'm sucking it up and stripping it down for paint again. The paint shop won't be ready to take it in until mid-February, but since it really doesn't get used much this time of year, might as well get started on tear down. No sense paying someone to do simple disassembly. Charger Tear Down.jpg Charger Tear Down (2).jpg Charger Tear Down (3).jpg Charger Tear Down (4).jpg Charger Tear Down (5).jpg

2. 71Charger_fan

A few more. Charger Tear Down (6).jpg Charger Tear Down (7).jpg Charger Tear Down (8).jpg

dana44 likes this.
  3. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

I like the detailed reporting of your projects. In this case, I don't see the quality issues with your Charger's current paint job, but you're closer to the car than we are. Have you decided on the color?

ClayBelt40's likes this.
  4. 71Charger_fan

Probably some shade of purple. Looking for just the right one. My painter also runs a local paint supply business. He knows what I'm looking for and I'm confident he'll come up with something.

5. 73chargerse

73chargerse Well-Known Member

Man, I was recently searching the site to see if you had pictures up of this car. I never found any, so I'm very happy to see these. Sweet looking Charger. Way nicer than my 73 ever was.

6. 71Charger_fan

Holy crap it's been cold. I've not touched it since just before Christmas and, given the forecast, I doubt I'll be touching it for at least a few more days.

7. 71Charger_fan

I took advantage of one of Year One's 30% off specials and bought new engine and forward light harnesses. I may convert it to HEI using my MP distributor and a bracket from Mopar HEI Conversion (at http://www.designed2drive.com/ )
    I currently have a Firecore RTR distributor, but am considering switching to HEI so that I could buy an ignition module at any auto parts store should I need to.
    I should warm up enough this week to get back out into the garage.

8. 71Charger_fan

9. 71Charger_fan

It finally warmed up enough to get back out in the garage. Today, I pulled and disassembled the front valance. The air is warmer, but the garage slab is still frigid. So, the valance will be enough for today.
    phpeYVLvrAM.jpg php0McRQLAM.jpg

10. 71Charger_fan

Today, I pulled the antenna, cleaned out the trunk, and organized the parts that have come off.
    php80729qPM.jpg phphFQ0tgPM.jpg php4aXVfYPM.jpg

Devildodge likes this.
  11. 71Charger_fan

I packed up the wiper motor to send it out for restoration. Of course, I drove all the way to the Post Office before I realized it's a holiday.
    Charger Wiper Motor.jpg Charger Wiper Motor (2).jpg Charger Wiper Motor (3).jpg Charger Wiper Motor (4).jpg Charger Wiper Motor (5).jpg