AF: 1971 Charger Repaint | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1971 Charger Repaint

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by 71Charger_fan, Dec 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

Thanks. I'll check that. In my '74 Satellite, I once lost brake lights and the dome light came on when the trunk light wire shorted to the hinge.

2. 71Charger_fan

I test fit my AMD dual exhaust rear valance. I'm very happy with it. Only one bolt hole didn't line up and that is where the quarter panel got hit about 30 years ago so I assume it's the car and not the quality of the part. Of course the tailpipes are going to have to be modified.

phpy3Z5aAPM.jpg phpSEckwXPM.jpg phphjuyuSPM.jpg phpYhz7ZXPM.jpg

3. 71Charger_fan

phphaoRXSPM.jpg
    When I pulled the rear bumper to test fit the valance, I completely unwrapped the harness and checked the whole thing. I found a few places on the driver's side with cracked insulation and replaced a few wire sections. The passenger side looked good until I got to the side marker light. I found a spot where it looks to have been pinched in the bracket. So, I replaced that section and put protective jacketing around all the wires. I reinstalled the bumper and hooked the lights up. They all work as they should, but I'm still chasing the dome light. I unplugged the rear harness at the driver side kick panel and it didn't help. So, at that point, I felt I had eliminated the rear of the car as causing the problem. I then decided it must be the map light and unplugged that and it didn't help. I unplugged the forward light harness and that didn't clear up the problem.

For reasons I don't quite understand, the dome light ground wires are routed to the D terminal on the HL switch. I did put in a new HL switch. So, as much as I hate to say it, I think the dash is coming out again. I thought it could be in the column, but the key buzzer works as it should and only buzzes when the door is open. The problem, it seems to me, has to be in the yellow/yellow-with-black-tracer wiring on the ground side. I also unplugged the radio, which was also a change to the status quo, and that didn't help.

I'm about at the point where I'll just take the bulb out of the dome light and let the body/restoration shop worry about it when they finally take it in this fall/winter.

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

What about the door switches for the dome light? I've had them out of adjustment so they don't disengage. Agree, running out of possibilities.

5. 71Charger_fan

I have removed the door switches and slipped shrink tube over the wire ends to make sure no circuit is completed and the light still stays on. It's finding a ground somewhere.

6. 71Charger_fan

I've isolated the short to ground to the solid yellow wire that runs between the passenger switch, the driver switch, the dome lamp plug, and headlight switch. To address it, I'd have to pull the cluster again. Since the dash is coming out to get painted when the car gets refinished, I've decided to stop wasting time on it and just leave the bulb out.

7. 71Charger_fan

I've mocked up the HEI. Hopefully, I'll get it started today on the HEI. I'm still not sure if I will switch as my Mopar ignition works perfectly. But it would be nice to ditch the ballast resistor.
    phpxLcKGFAM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  8. 71Charger_fan

I've had intermittent no start issues since I got the car back from the shop that worked on it. Today, I was supposed to drive it to PA to let the body shop that's going to paint it see it as the guy they sent to check it out at the house has quit and moved on. Of course, it wouldn't start. Started with the simplest thing first and cleaned the battery terminals. Turned the key, and she fired right up. I turned it off, loaded some stuff in it, then hopped in, turned the key, and nothing. So, in a modern marvel of poor diagnostics, I decided it was the neutral safety switch. So, I went and bought one and realized the wiring was iffy at best. So, my new harness came out of the package and I installed that while I was working on it. Got it all put back together and...nothing. I didn't even have back up lights anymore. So, back in with the neutral safety switch I had just removed, turned the key, and she kicked right over but would not run. After 5 or 6 tries of this, she wouldn't even try to start anymore. I turned the key on and had no power in the ignition circuit either. So, I jiggled the key quite vigorously and it started and ran. Crap.

Off to the attic to get out the spare column and I spent the rest of the afternoon getting the ignition switch out of the spare column. I tested that switch through all of its positions and it tested fine. So, now to find the time to pull the switch out of the car and replace it with the spare.
    php1rERJsPM.jpg phpjBq2GhPM.jpg phppguluBPM.jpg php3XzhITPM.jpg phpEkWvlUPM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  9. 71Charger_fan

Today, I got the steering wheel off and the turn signal lever off before I had to start babysitting.
    phpJnljWzPM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  10. 71Charger_fan

Pulled the column today and replaced the ignition switch. Not difficult, just tedious.
    php7ulx3XPM.jpg phpsrl0L1PM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  11. 71Charger_fan

So, after spending quite a bit of money buying a good dash bezel, having the speedometer restored, the tach calibrated, and buying the OE radio replica, I'm thinking now of going in a completely different direction. I'm thinking of reusing the Retrosound radio I pulled out and mounting it in the glovebox and buying an Autometer dash panel with all brand new Autometer gauges. With the Retrosound, I can put the on-off-volume knob anywhere, so I could even mount it in the lighter socket. It would mean I'd have wasted a lot of money on what I already have, but I think, in the long run, I'd be much happier with Autometer set up. I've also thought of a custom single DIN radio compartment under the ashtray. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point, but I'm leaning heavily toward the Autometer dash panel/gauges.

12. 71Charger_fan

I got my Classic Dash panel and Autometer gauges and started installing my RetroSound radio in the glove box. I also started removing the headliner.
    phpDCL6LaAM.jpg phpkcmztGAM.jpg phpnzqIIwAM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  13. 71Charger_fan

I finished removing the headliner, scraped the residue of the original insulation from the inside of the roof, and test fitted my new LED dome lamp.
    phpXENnyPPM.jpg

page2171, saltydog and dana44 like this.
  14. 71Charger_fan

I removed my interior sail panels and installed the "cat whiskers" (or whatever they're called) on the repro ones I bought. The brown ones painted black have lived a long life and are overdue for freshening or replacement.
    phpVP439QPM.jpg phpCp2VZoPM.jpg php11Q3dQPM.jpg phpsZ5erJPM.jpg phpKXtffHPM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  15. 71Charger_fan

Now to make patterns from this mess that was behind the sail panels. I'm thinking of of using Coroplast instead of cardboard.
    phpbUujE9AM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  16. 71Charger_fan

Today, I managed to reassemble the crumbled cardboard to make a pattern and cut a new piece from Coroplast.
    phpmCj1FSPM.jpg phpeSwLu1PM.jpg phpXUOwh6PM.jpg phpEbRBq3PM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  17. 71Charger_fan

I also painted the new radiator.
    phpMKaLgfPM.jpg php4T7l4pPM.jpg phpWR59kzPM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  18. 71Charger_fan

I put a thin layer of closed cell foam on the back of the pieces I made and did a trial fit. Since the plastic is corrugated, it didn't quite want to conform to the curves as the cardboard had. So, I put a few self tapping screws in to force it where I wanted it.
    phpwPtJnYPM.jpg phpGuc8yYPM.jpg

saltydog and Doug D like this.
  19. 71Charger_fan

I fitted the passenger side panel today.
    phpyzQTaUAM.jpg

saltydog likes this.
  20. 71Charger_fan

Today I worked on getting the woodgrain decal off of the console top. It's a lot harder than I expected.
    php6znA4mPM.jpg

saltydog likes this.