Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1972 Dodge W100 questions

Discussion in 'Power Wagon' started by kiwibilt, May 19, 2014.

1. kiwibilt

kiwibilt New Member

Aloha,
    I just bought a 72 W100 & have some questions regarding the motor. I am the second owner, & fortunately the original owner was able to give me some info regarding the trucks purchase. The truck was special ordered from Reno Dodge with a close ratio 4 speed, a 360, & highway gears in the Corporate rear end. The dealership then installed headers & twin pipes, a 4 barrel & a Edlebrock Streetmaster intake (yep real 70's LOL). It sounds to me like there is also a mild cam in it as it has some "lope". The trucks VIN shows that it is a 360 truck, & the engine stamp beneath the head on the drivers side states it is a 360 from 1972, so all good. The block casting on the drivers side also states it is a 360 from the early 70's, but here's the rub. There is no block casting on the passenger side, nor is the VIN stamped on the block on the passenger side above the oil pan. The numbers stamped beneath the head on the drivers side are WH360R 3450, & A5 is stamped beneath it. Normally the "R" designation is reserved for race blocks. I have yet to remove a valve cover & look for the telltale "X" or "J" stamping that would tell me this is a hipo motor.
    Can anyone shed any light on the "R" & "A5" stampings. I was going to drop a 360 Magnum into this truck, but now I am loathe to tamper with what might be a rare truck & feel I should keep it original (maybe a Whiplash cam though lol).
    Thanks in advance for any info.

PS...If anyone has a clean radiator support panel, drop me a PM

My New Truck.jpg

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Truck blocks did not have a VIN stamped on them in the 70s although the car blocks did. That's all I can help you with.

3. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

Nice looking truck!

4. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I'd leave it alone, sounds like a great motor and likely more potent than a Magnum, unless you are looking to gain from fuel injection.

As you discovered, there was no VIN on early blocks, just the casting numbers on the side and engine serial below the heads.
    No telling what you have as a 1972 should have been rebuilt at least once in those 42 years.
    I had a '72 360, in a B Van it spanked just about every car on the road in those years of smog pumps and vacuum lines. Enjoy it!

kiwibilt likes this.
  5. kiwibilt

kiwibilt New Member

Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate your input.
    I looked closer at the heads today & found the "J" I was hoping to find. That in conjunction with the "R" block make this a true high performance engine of the era, & the "H" stamping confirms 1972 manufacture, so I feel safe to believe it is the original motor & as close to correct matching numbers as I could hope for. I bought the truck in Cali while I am here working, but all my tools are in Hawaii where I will be shipping the truck shortly. Once I check the compression, & perhaps do a cylinder leak down test I will know where I am at with regards to increasing performance. I plan on pulling the heads for a little tweaking & port matching, & installing a Whiplash cam (with new springs, pushrods & double row timing chain) for a little more "lope" & mid range performance. An Edlebrock Performer RPM Air Gap manifold would produce more HP, but I feel like sticking with the Streetmaster to keep the 70's vibe. I'm not looking for a street screamer, & the truck already hauls a**, so all in all, I am extremely happy with my purchase.
    Iv'e tried Shermans & e-bay looking for a radiator support panel to no avail. Anybody have any suggestions. By the way also, LMC truck now includes 1972 to 1993 trucks in their catalogue.
    Thanks again for the input :)

6. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Good luck with it!