Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1973 Dodge B300 - Rear Axle Swap - Tradesman vs Maxivan?...

Discussion in 'Vans' started by John Bush, Sep 8, 2017.

1. John Bush

John Bush New Member

Hi all,

If anyone can help me here, I'd be forever indebted. I have a 1973 Dodge B300 Tradesman Maxivan that was converted into a camper. On a trip recently, the bearings failed and stripped the whole hub. I need an entire new rear axle assembly. I found one in a yard in a '73 Tradesman, but it's not the Maxivan. I'm trying to figure out if it should work and fit.

To my knowledge, the only difference between the Tradesman Maxivan and the Tradesman was that the Maxivan had 18 inches of additional length aft of the rear axle.

Should a rear axle from a 73 Tradesman work and fit in mine? THANK YOU!!

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Break out a tape measure and measure full width, spring width, and width of the U-joint. I believe they are the same as you said, length of the van itself, but this will guarantee a good fit.

3. John Bush

John Bush New Member

Thank you! The length of the two vans is different. The Maxivan is 18 inches longer than the Tradesman, but I feel like they should still both have the same axle assembly - one just has a longer body. Is that bad thinking?

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, the part is about 500 miles away from me, so I'll relay this to the guy in the yard to see if he can help, but it's been a struggle so far.

Also, here's a link to photos of the van: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2k4N3CrgpLgTHdpaDRZc18wX1E

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Nice. Yeah, it is always best to verify these measurements no matter what, that way you can't say you overlooked what is obvious.

5. pt006

pt006 Active Member

John; you're looking for a B-300 [1 ton] Dana 60 full floating rear end. I think any Dodge van [but NOT from a pick-up truck] rear end from 1971 thru 1977 [and maybe even later] will fit. Be careful, there are ratios up to 4:88 to 1. The 3.54 makes a good ratio for yours. Hollanders manual is the place to check to be sure.

Nice van! What brand of roof lift is that? And does it leak while driving in the rain?

Bearhawke likes this.