Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1973 Possessed Power Wagon

Discussion in 'Power Wagon' started by Melissa<3Mopar, Jul 26, 2015.

?

What should I do with truck

1. Sell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Keep

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Melissa<3Mopar

I swear this truck does not like me, that or it has an entity!
    Some one quick I need an old priest and a new priest

First things first, most recently she has been stalling out on me with no warning, while I am turning corners mostly it seems. Also she has been back firing all of a sudden, as well sounds like she needs oil when running but really doesn't.
    Electrical gremlins run wild in her. As soon as one thing is fixed its something else....
    No brake lights or turn switches or horn. She burns through coils more often then she should. Needs new carb I believe. Replace damn near everything under the hood, complete electrical system redone, possibly a faulty ignition (which has been re wired to the left side of wheel for what ever reason) Been very slowly restoring with boyfriend, hard on my income....but a work in progress...
    Also, have yet to see a single truck like this, the closest one that I have seen is practically an identical twin, down to the color, one feature I don't see many with is for whatever reason I have OVERHEAD LIGHTS and not sure why....been told that is only for camper specials, but my paper work from when purchased in 1972 states its a light duty!!!

Please shed some light on this!

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Stalling on turns is almost always a carburetor problem, unless a wire is being moved and shorting against something or breaking a connection in a turn.
    The fuel in the float bowl will slosh one way or the other and either flood (rich) or starve (lean). The float may be sinking if it has taken on fuel or it may be set wrong. The level is adjustable. This is a 318 or 360 with a 2-barrel Carter (B&B)?
    $_35.JPG
    The firewall (bulkhead) electrical connectors on these were troublesome. I would pull it apart and look for melted plastic and burnt terminals. The ignition switch and wiring should also be inspected for damage.
    BulkheadConnector_zpsd683bc57.jpg
    You may need to review and inspect the work that has already been done. Something may have been missed.

#2 ImperialCrown, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    pt006 and Bob Lincoln like this.
  3. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

In addition to what IC said, the ethanol in gasoline tends to make carburetors need rebuilding more often.

You might check to make sure both battery ground wires, the thicker one to the engine, the other to the frame, are good. When my frame ground wire was bad on my '84, it was also burning through too many coils.

Someone else might verify, but I think Mopars of this era had fusible links that occasionally caused problems.

Brake lights, ignition and horn might be a fuse or two. But make sure the battery ground wires and fusible links are working before doing any more electrical diagnosis.

The overhead lights could have been ordered as an option because the original buyer wanted them. Or, perhaps the dealer put them on to entice a buyer.

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, a rather rare vehicle and during a time when all the auto manufacturers were in pretty bad quality issues, so yeah, work is in order to get her back into the reliability zone and demons exercised. Agree with the carb being the issue as far as stalling on corners goes, it is a common carb issue of float being at the wrong height. Luckily you don't have the Lean Burn system under the hood. They were good when they worked, but many gremlins when they went bad. Essentially there are two wiring harnesses under the hood. One for the engine, one for the lights. With the wiring diagram, and relatively inexpensively, choose the right colors and gauges on the diagram (example B-16 would be blue 16 gauge wire), go to NAPA and get the correct colors and new male and female connectors (NAPA carries them) and replace the wiring based on the bulkhead connectors as a whole unit or harness. The male and female terminals can be removed from the connectors to use them, I use a thin wire paper clip, there is a little slot that depresses to pull them out the back of the connectors, and then you do it right once. Wrap the harnesses with cloth tape (electronics shops carry it, 3M electrical tape, or hockey stick tape at a sports store). It is more original and doesn't unwrap like black plastic electrical tape. As you redo the wiring, One section at a time, the job becomes easier. Duplicate what you see with the original wiring, sometimes you will find things like three or four wires connected together with a piece of metal clamp, do the same and if possible solder it and shrink wrap to keep it clean and dry. Also, as was recently talked about in a different topic, a bad ground for a voltage regulator can also cause electrical gremlins.

5. Melissa<3Mopar

Thank you for the input. I will try to see what comes out of the suggestions and will post the outcome!! Fingers Crossed, as for the rarity of the vehicle, I knew it was pretty rare. Gonna make it one of a kind most definitely. Dunno if you all watch Gas Monkey Garage or not, but on August 30th Richard Rawlings is going to sign my vehicle!!!! I am so excited for that I don't know why...
    Curious as to a good site to find out the price value of my truck. I can not find any vin searches obviously because its too old. Thanks again

6. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

May your repairs be successful. Hagerty doesn't list anything newer than 1971 models. Nada didn't specifically list Power Wagon, so I checked D100 Sweptline 4WD. This was their price guide:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1973/Dodge/D100/1-2-Ton-Sweptline/Values

If you google 1973 Dodge Power Wagon, you'll find others for sale, so you can compare prices.

I doubt that an autograph from anyone besides Richard Petty will enhance your truck's value. My understanding is that Rawlings only occasionally features Mopars on his show, though he does like Challengers.

7. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Melissa; nice looking truck. I'd keep it or sell it to Linda Blair. She would buy it even if it doesn't have a back-up camera. The signals and brake lights [and possibly the horn] could be related to a problem under the steering wheel. The signal light switches would sometimes melt. Your coil issue is likely due to the ceramic resistor being incorrectly wired or missing. During these years they changed to a locking column ignition switch? I would put a mechanical gage on it to test the oil pressure. If it is a 6 cyl, it may just need a valve adjustment. ------ Good Luck ------

floridaman2013 likes this.