Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1976 Dodge Coronet CHP Police Car

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by William, Apr 28, 2017.

1. William

William New Member

Hi, I'm new to the site. I joined because it's a good site to get information on a passion of mine. 70's Police cars. I love these car and I am currently restoring a 1976 Dodge Coronet CHP police car that has its original 440 engine and is getting a nut and bolt restoration. I would like to hear from other members who are restoring similar cars and if they know of any that are for sale. There is always room for one more! Any tips on getting parts or restoring things like wiring harnesses and most importantly, a source of NOS parts. I've been very lucky getting NOS parts for my car but could always use more parts like weatherstripping or interior parts. Look forward to seeing responses. Thanks!

2. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Welcome to allpar. The closest I saw within the last few years was a '77 Monaco in a junkyard near Austin, Texas; other than the name change, I don't know what the differences are. It didn't have a 440, and since the yard only keeps its vehicles for about 6 months or so, it's probably been crushed. You might try the swap meets; even when you can't find your specific parts, they're good places to network. I wish you success with your project.

3. William

William New Member

Thanks Scrounge for the kind words. I also want to mention I'm a big fan of mopars. I have a 1969 Dodge Charger SE with its #'s matching 383 hp, trans and 3.23 posi rear. I restored it about 10 years ago. I thought that restoration was tough. It's a cake walk compared to this Coronet. There is nothing in the aftermarket for my Coronet. At least the 68-69 Chargers are supported very well by the aftermarket but at least I have been very lucky restoring what I have and finding a lot of NOS parts.

4. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Hit up the different Facebook, etc. groups, eBay, CraigsList, etc. As for body parts: the 1975-76 Coronet are the same and, the doors, fenders, (probably the) trunk lid, etc. can also be sourced from 1975-78 B body Furys as well as 1977-78 B body Monacos if discussing four door sedans. Two doors from that era use the same front sheetmetal as well.

5. William

William New Member

Thanks for the response. I bought a couple of doors and all the sheet metal work and most of the body work is done. My biggest obstacle is weatherstripping, door window sweeps etc. Even the Upolstery, dashboard and wiring is all squared away. I guess the weatherstripping and inner window weatherstripping is what I really need. I was able to get NOS bumpers, windshield, grille, bumperettes, headlight buckets, marker lights and even NOS taillights. If anyone knows of a company other than Rubber Steele please let me know. Thanks again for the input. When I have time I am going to write a thread of how CHP got a 440 in a Coronet when it was not available until they asked for it. I got the story from the Chrysler Historic Dept and was even sent an ordering brochure for my car. Great piece of history. This car is probably one of the last ones in existence. Definitely the only one getting a full blown restoration. I have only seen two other cars like mine and almost bought one of them but it got away from me. Anyway the details will be in the new Thread.

Bearhawke likes this.
  6. Bearhawke

A quirk in emissions certified engines for Calif starting 1974 doomed the HP 400-4V hence the 440 Magnum being a factory option for 1975-76 Calif spec B body four door sedans only.

7. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Cars made during the last half of the 1970s have generally been ignored by collectors. That era was a result of mandatory safety and smog regulations, and voluntary (later mandatory) gas mileage improvements. These were often costly, and quality suffered. Smog adjustments were too often add-ons, and the more you add to a vehicle, the more there is to go wrong with it.

Cars made during the 1960s and into the early 1970s were simpler, and easier to maintain. Year One used to provide Mopar parts for only the 1966 to 1974 models (I don't know if they've since expanded their inventory). Your Charger has a specific interest for a lot of people, as you've probably found. There used to be a Charger-only meet in Bourne, Texas every year.

Also, too many police cars from your era were used (and destroyed) by the movie industry. Perhaps you've seen the Blues Brothers movie.

wolfsblood07 and Bearhawke like this.
  8. William

William New Member

Yes. Very true. I feel fortunate that I purchased my Charger when I did because I would not be able to purchase a numbers matching, original mile Charger today. At this point, they are icons and their value is through the roof. So much so, that numbers matching doesn't matter much anymore. Just getting your hands on a 69 Charger that is not a parts car ten years ago are going for 10's of thousands of dollars.

Bearhawke likes this.
  9. Davidrad

Davidrad New Member

I am shocked at the lack of resources for mid 70s B bodies. I realize they aren't sought after but wow. I can build my Dart as a Kit but can't find a fender for a 76 Coronet to save my life. I just bought a 76 A38 package from an old timer. It's beat, worn, and rusted out but it's mine to have fun with. I love the way it drives. The heavy duty suspension and sway bars really make a difference. Mine only has a 318 2B for now. What have you guys done with all of your vacuum hoses and such? The law says it's supposed to stay, but damn I'd actually like to be able to see the engine once and a while.

10. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Go to forbbodiesonly they have a lot of info and parts knowledge.

11. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

In Missouri cars 1995 and older do not need a smog inspection. So you can take any 70's-80's smog car and rip out all the pollution junk.
    How does it work in california?

ClayBelt40's likes this.
  12. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Just for your info. It is not legal to delete any of the pollution devices. Federal EPA rules.

13. voiceofstl

In Mo all they do is safty inspection on 95 and older. They don't even open the hood.

14. Meester Beeg

Meester Beeg Active Member

But if hou have removed things like the cat con you are busted.
    92 Dakota in st chuck county mo.

15. voiceofstl

Hmm I know guys that have 80's malibus and a Diplomet with built 350 and a 360 running straight duals and they always pas inspection.

ClayBelt40's likes this.
  16. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Still not legal. How many times have you sped without getting a ticket. Doesn't make it legal.

17. voiceofstl

Thats like saying...well in 1850 slavery was legal, so i suport slavery.

18. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Only said that legal means smog stays. Moonshine hasn't stopped because it was illegal.

19. Bearhawke

Yes and no.

If someone took a 1983 Diplomat 318 and swapped in a 2005 5.7L Hemi sourced from a 300C; the newer emission control specs override the older regulations as long as everything from the flexplate forward is retained i.e. catalytic converters, OBD II system, etc. In other words; one can safely not run a smog pump assuming it wasn't mandated on the 21st Century Hemi.

ClayBelt40's and pt006 like this.
  20. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

That would be a substitution, not a deletion.