Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1977 Chrysler LeBaron 4-door base model owner.

Discussion in 'F-J-M: Volare, Diplomat, etc, 1977-89' started by 77LeBaron, Feb 3, 2017.

1. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Hello The LeBaron Woody Wagon is 1/24 and all over eBay for about $10-12 they come in several colors also. I saw a mess of them while part searching !

Citation84 likes this.
  2. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

What I hope to do is the find the split bench or bucket front and reupholster them in leather or vinyl the same green as my interior . Still looking for the electric trim pieces for the windows . I'm getting there slowly but surely !

Citation84 likes this.
  3. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Yes, the vents are kind of odd. Like the "wastegates" on the front fenders of the 66 Mercury full sizers. Jeez: don't get me started on the after market adhesive vents available at Pep Boys !

The interiors of those and from the 90s are full on "brougham". That's what says "luxury" to me.

OOPS. Dating myself

Bearhawke likes this.
  4. Citation84

I may well score one of those today, 77. Thanks

5. Citation84

77LeBaron: Those pictures are fantastic. Thanks for posting them. Automotive XXX !!!

I am considering Spinnaker White for the Valiant. It's due for a re-spray and getting a lower LR quarter panel replacement soon.

My parent's 77- 78 [?] Fury II was Spinnaker White with a maroon vinyl top and I have always loved that shade.

What a beautiful car

6. goair99

goair99 Active Member

Beautiful car!!! You should be proud! Love the wheels, they almost look like oem!

7. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Thanks on the diecast model car they are allover EBay even with different colors but pick and choose and beware of the shipping costs on some of the unscrupulous EBayers. I assumed it was spinnaker white I have not decoded the panel yet , there is another color called cream white if I recall but if you actually have seen one I will take your word . Goodluck on the repaint !

Citation84 likes this.
  8. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

I was watching a Dodge Diplomat commercial training film and the Diplomat had a 360 option and a 360 HD option , did the LeBaron have the 360 option ? I do not believe it did. The LeBaron in my opinion in the Medallion trim and optioned out blew away both the Cadillac Seville and Lincoln Versailles and cost half as much . If the LeBaron had the 360 option it would have been top of the heap versus the Sevilles 350 olds engine. The only nod I can give the Cadillac was the Fuel Injected engine. The Seville in all categories from interior and trunk space, styling interior trim and options was lame compared to the LeBaron, the Sevilles windshield was also right in your face with that pitifully short dash. I drove the 77 Seville and the 77 Versailess which is the object of immense ridicule but was just as good as the Seville. The Lebaron maxed out was equal to or better than both those cars for half the price.

Citation84 likes this.
  9. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Thankyou I am loving it my first car was a 1976 Volare Premier similar yet the LeBaron styling is more upscale . Have over 1000 miles on it , need to fix the blown Heater core, and fix minor engine and oil leaks . Everybody asks me what it is I tell them a Chrysler 300 , then add that what I paid for it. I did just get the complete shop manual in along with the supplemental for the LeBaron Diplomat.

Citation84 likes this.
  10. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The LeBaron had the same powertrain options as the Diplomat in any given year. 1977 was just a 318 automatic, I believe. It was in 1978 when the engine range grew to super slant 6, 318-2, 360-2 and 360-4 HD. The slant 6 and 318 could be had with 4 speed OD manual or automatic transmission. 360 was automatic only. Then in 1979 the manual option was dropped from the 318. California and high altitude options were different.

11. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

I'm probably one of 2-3 people in the world who have actually converted a 79 LeBaron (actually LeBaron Town & Country) from manual to power windows (and locks). The easiest way would be to simply buy 4 complete doors and swap the parts. You'll never remember where each bolt goes. Much easier to have the assembly right in from of you. At the time I did it, LeBarons were common in Phoenix-area junkyards. Now you might get most of it from a 5th Ave. And don't forget you'll need to remove 50 lbs of wiring harness without chopping it up.

Which begs the question... Why not just sell this LeBaron, which will be worth far more in survivor condition before you start re-doing seats, swapping windows, etc.? You can by the best 5th Ave on planet earth for $5000, and if by your own admission you "aren't mechanical", you'll have that much tied up in labor. You'll get the chromier-dash, split cloth or leather seats, rear defroster, etc. AND all the many electrical and mechanical improvements that came as these cars aged. If you hate the fender vents, you can remove them easily or look for a clean Diplomat/Gran Fury. Or cover them with $100 bills that you'll be ahead.

#71 Lee N. Burns, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Bearhawke likes this.
  12. Citation84

Thanks.

No need to take my word. I am only pulling from memory of my folk's 78 Fury. My Uncle had done some paint touch up on it.

Yes: DieCast Direct is $9.98 or such in shipping alone. I balk at that. They're 1/24th scale.

The Valiant is currently a generic "Antique White", but I'd like a Chrysler specific color on it. It's 3 repaints in. Including an Earl Scheib at one point.

13. Citation84

77: Curbside Classics just reprinted a Multi Car road test with all those cars that appeared in Car & Driver at the time. Worth a look for you.

The LeBaron looked the best and was the best value IMHO. Much better execution using an available platform than the silly Lincoln.

14. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

T&C would've been less hassle to convert compared to any 1978-79 M body sedan since all 1980-89 M body 4 doors use the same door assembles as any 1976-89 F-M wagon.

15. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Earl Scheib ! They were actually pretty competent for $99.00 compared to the clowns today who want 2grand and leave over sprays and are lazy on the prep work. I will get the codes of the the car I think they are somewhere under the hood. On the diecast you might find one locally at a flea market or yard sale they are bound to come up.

Citation84 likes this.
  16. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Citation on Youtube they have a ton of Mopar comparison tests posted by a youtuber called Osborne Tremain and others . I lover the front end styling and rear deck lights . The Lincoln was just an upscale Mercury Monarch out of the three Seville, Versailles both 12 grand , and the LeBaron 7 grand maxed out the LeBaron was the best , but I am biased, I have driven them all and the interior of the LeBaron is by far the best of the bunch .

Citation84 likes this.
  17. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

I hear what you are saying the power window swap is a long shot yet if the opportunity arises I will do this. I am shopping around for the 2 door and 4 door LeBaron in leather trim and maxed out on options they do turn up well maintained for about 5 grand .

18. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Found the Chrysler Master Tech - 1977, Volume 77-4 LeBaron and Diplomat Technical Highlights
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5QdISCvt_0
    and starting at 3:17 and at 3:40 the object of my complicated repair the high capacity heater core . I am a novice to car A/C and heating systems but have really never seen an A/C evaporator inside the dash . I am educating myself on the A/C , Heater system and it looks like I will be taking it to a Mechanic due to the fact the A/C must be taken apart also and I have no way to capture the Freon from the system.

#78 77LeBaron, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Citation84 likes this.
  19. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Here is a great video 1971 Dodge vs. Chevrolet Light Duty Trucks and Vans Dealer Promo Film I get a kick out the interplay between the young and fertile Irma F. Smith and the boss Big Sam Saavy !
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JRP-5zpOGI

20. Citation84

Didn't know there was video ! Thanks for that. Old road tests and "first start after 40 years" videos are my favorites.