Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1977 Chrysler LeBaron 4-door base model owner.

Discussion in 'F-J-M: Volare, Diplomat, etc, 1977-89' started by 77LeBaron, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Will you retro-fit to be able to use the new refrigerant ?

2. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

I have thought about the retrofit it might be time to change out the A/C hoses , dryer etc while I get the heater core fixed. The master tech series is a vault of information !

Citation84 likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The newer cylindrical compressors do better than the old RV2 when changing to newer refrigerant. You might consider this, the cars changed compressor styles around 1989.

4. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I think they changed earlier than that I had a 87 5th ave that had the newer type.

5. valiant67

Level III Supporter

Oops meant 1980!

Bearhawke and geraldg like this.
  6. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Hi My latest concern is now my ignition . I have noticed lately thay my ignition will click but not turn over on a more frequent basis. What could be the cause of this . It took many times today , then later it cranked on the first try . Experts please offer a diagnosis .

7. valiant67

Level III Supporter

If you mean the starter is clicking rather than spinning the engine start by inspecting for corrosion at the battery then follow the cables to the starter checking connections. But the problem may we'll be the starter itself.

8. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

More likely the solenoid than the starter itself.

9. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

It could be the starter relay.

10. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Def 1980 although the newer style AC compressor was phased in during the 1979 model year. I don't remember seeing an Old School York compressor on any R body V8.

11. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Well I have been busy and I am going to try to replace the Starter Relay Switch. Where on the Lebaron is it located and is it easy to get at . I believe this is the problem and if it is not it was probably time to get a new starter relay switch anyway . The LeBaron has now over 1500 miles on it and really runs good . It occasionally idles alittle rough at start up but after several minutes it gets much better. Might need a good carb cleaning and fine tuning . A/C blows cold. Back to the switch has anyone changed one out and are there special tools involved ? Thankyou

12. Scrounge

Don't know the location on yours, but it's usually on either the firewall or the driver's side fender. It should be a small rectangular metal part. You shouldn't need more tools than a screwdriver. Disconnect the battery, then remove the wires and screws. Reverse the order to install.

If that's not the problem, you could have the starter tested at a parts store.

13. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

It's a rectangular box mounted near the brake vacuum booster. Google the term and look at the images. If you encounter the click-no-start-click condition, short the two large, exposed connections with a screwdriver.* That bypasses the relay. If it cranks immediately, 90% chance you've found the problem (10% the starter solenoid is bad, but worked because the voltage is slightly higher with the bypass). If it sill "clicks", you can be sure the starter solenoid is bad.

*Make sure it's in park, because you're also bypassing the neutral safety switch. If you do it with the key on, the engine will crank and run (if the relay really is bad). You can use this to get mobile again in a pinch.

14. Scrounge

Lee mentioned the neutral safety switch. This could also be the problem.

15. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

I changed the starter relay switch and the first one was DOA , got a replacement and installed it . The clicking was still going on and would not crank at all, the battery sounded strong but on a whim I checked it out anyway and it was reading not at 100% so I used my jumpNCarry battery starter and it cranked right up, drove the Lebaron for a half an hour and parked it for 10 minutes and went out and it started right up . I am slow charging the battery tonight and going to see if this was the problem. If it was , the replacement of the Starter relay Switch was due anyway the one I replaced looked to be the original. The battery was new and if it is defective I can get it replaced. I will keep you posted either way.

16. Scrounge

Maybe the battery is bad, but maybe something is slow-draining it. How is the alternator?

17. valiant67

Level III Supporter

You probably don't have a very high output alternator on the car. And if the brushes are worn, you may not be charging enough to keep the battery topped off if use is infrequent or short trips.

18. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

You won't get the click noise with a bad or mis-adjusted NSS... the circuit will be incomplete, so no solenoid or relay activation (click).

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  19. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

A weak battery could give early warning to a marginal starter/solenoid, just as a boost to an otherwise healthy battery will sometimes make a bad starter turn over one last time (useful for getting the car into a garage for starter replacement!)

Scrounge likes this.
  20. 77LeBaron

77LeBaron Member

Yes it appears I will be replacing the starter . I use the Lebaron only as an Antique so weekends for a small ride is all I am currently doing when it turns over. I will purchase one and replace it myself the starter looks to be the original 40 year old one , so it is due for a change out I guess ! In fact the car is turning 40 this month as its build date is 06/77

#100 77LeBaron, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017