AF: 1978 Monaco with a 3-speed manual | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1978 Monaco with a 3-speed manual

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by Scrounge, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Some time ago, someone posted about whether the last of the B bodies had a stick shift. Well, here's a video of one in Canada that's apparently original:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58mvSDxReyk

It has a Slant 6, and the guy said that the valve cover was painted "Ford blue". What should the original color be?

saltydog likes this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

1978 was the last year for these cars (the "small" B body Fury and Monaco) and they offered a 3-on-the-tree setup until the very end with the slant 6. 1977 was the last year with the 318 manual transmission.
    1977 was the last year for the 3-on-the-tree setup in the F body Aspen and Volare. For 1978 to 1980 the F body continued to offer the 3 speed manual, but only with a floor shift.
    The F body also offered the 4 speed (the 833 version where 3rd gear became overdrive). The late B body didn't offer the 4 speed any longer, 1974 or so was the last year (and it was a traditional 833, no overdrive).

Any mid-70's car valve cover is going to be Mopar blue.

Bearhawke and Scrounge like this.
  3. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Was at a car show and saw a early 70's full size olds convertable with 3 on the tree. I couldn't belive it.

Bearhawke likes this.
  4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Most young'uns wouldn't know what "three on the tree" means. :(

5. voiceofstl

3onthetree seems so old, I am amazed when I see 70's cars with them. There proberly alot more 70's dodge darts with 340, 360 and 383's in them then there are darts with 3onthetree

6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

The last three on the tree I remember was my uncle's old Dodge ('60's?) pickup.

7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The newest one I've ever driven was a 1977 Bronco, a vehicle which easily felt 5-10 years older than the model year it was. They had dropped the 6 cylinder and made the 302 the base engine, but left the 3 speed on the column as the base transmission.

Citation84 and wolfsblood07 like this.
  8. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

3-on-the-tree dated from around the 1940 model year; before then, shifters were floor mounted. Steering column manual shifters lasted to 1978 in Mopars; I don't know when other makes moved the manual shifters to the floor.

Okay, was this one the correct shade, or does it look repainted?

Yes, that was rare. Olds was the make that introduced the automatic transmission. At some point during the 1970s, the automatic transmission became standard equipment in GM's largest vehicles.

The Bronco was essentially the same for about 10 years after it was introduced. Many of its owners liked it because it was a bare-bones vehicle. Ford enlarged it toward the end of the 1970s to compete with the Blazer and the Ramcharger.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  9. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

My dad's 66 Chevy Biscayne, which was the base full-size model, was a stripped down car with 250 cu in I-6, manual steering and brakes, and 3-speed manual column shift. The only options it had were AM radio and a heater. It had a recall for a broken motor mount (over 4 million 1965-69 Chevys), and when he picked up the car from the dealer, a technician was test-driving it and speed-shifting (a.k.a. grinding it) without using the clutch. From then on, it caught and ground during the 1-2 shift. The dealer refused to admit they caused it, and to add insult to injury, charged my dad for the motor mount replacement.
    A friend's sister had a 72 Monte Carlo with a 3-speed column shift. I remember it had a strong detent spring, such that when she shifted from 1st to 2nd, as she lifted it from 1st gear toward neutral, the lever would snap forward briskly, so that she only had to lift it to get it into 2nd.

Citation84 likes this.
  10. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

1939 was the first year for Chrysler column shifters. We had a 39 Plymouth rumble seat convertible with one.

Scrounge likes this.
  11. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

I dont think I have ever seen such a late model car with a 3 on the tree. :rolleyes:

On a plus, that slant 6 runs soo damn good after sitting for 25 years!

Citation84 likes this.
  12. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Check out the white note attached to this brochure:
    1978 Aspen brochure with manual trans notice.jpg

13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

As @Fast Eddie points out above, manual transmission cars were really having trouble with emissions.
    California lost manual transmissions first, with the 318 manual gone for 1976 and the slant 6 manual gone in 1978. Federal models got a few more years out of the manual transmissions.

I'm guessing from the note above, and the lack of the "Super" Slant 6 2bbl in California (I don't think it ever made it into California emission cars) that the 2bbl form of the slant 6 must have been really hard to get emissions compliant.What a shame as it really made the slant 6 a better performing engine.

14. voiceofstl

Most of the 1 gen. A bodys had the small /6. I drove a 66 Dart with the 225 and it seemed alot quicker then other A bodys.

Citation84 and saltydog like this.
  15. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Another Mopar innovation that most makes copied. One advantage must have been more leg room for front passengers. I don't know if the production process was simplified or complicated; with the shifter on the floor, it would have been right on top of the transmission, so I'd guess that another step or two was needed to put it on the column.

The '39 Plymouth also had squared headlights, which looked pretty sharp on those models.

Agreed, I'd have kept it in the Monaco and at least attempted to restore it. The guy who bought it mentioned that it looked like a '75 Monte Carlo (more like a '77 to me), which is not a bad thing, as that was also a sharp-looking car in its day.

saltydog likes this.
  16. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

There was a 1970 Chrysler Newport convertible for sale in the Wash DC area; 383, 3 spd stick and power windows, a few years ago. I'm guessing it was a US embassy vehicle that someone brought back to the USA. Unfortunately; it was a typical DC area rusted out vehicle. :(

About 30 years ago; I saw a 1973 Chevy Belair with the 250 Six/3 spd combo for salve in SoCal.

Citation84, saltydog and wolfsblood07 like this.
  17. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

My dad bought a brand new 79 Dodge d100 that was a 3 speed on the column. That was the newest vehicle I recall seeing that feature.

saltydog, Bearhawke and wolfsblood07 like this.
  18. Bearhawke

The newest 3 on the tree vehicle I remember was a 1986 Ford F150

JA Cumbo and wolfsblood07 like this.
  19. Magnumguy

Magnumguy Active Member

Back years ago in Parkersburg WVa, I ran across a Lebaron w/slant 6 and the A833? 3 sp. w/OD trans, sticking out of the floor. Wish now I'd tried to grad at the very least the trans.

Bearhawke likes this.
  20. Bearhawke

Hindsight's always 20/20; for that matter, 20-30 years ago, I was 'remiss' in not grabbing any 1973 Mopar C body spindle at the wrecking yards. They were/are a very easy disc brake upgrade on any 1965-72 drum brake car since they were 100% bolt on, as long as said recipient had the 'drum brake' lower balljoints. Why I say that is the relatively few 1965-68 disc brake vehicles had those nasty 4 piston caliper Budd's, in conjunction with their special AKA $$$ lower joints. 1969+ C's used the same lower ball joints on all cars, disc or drum.

As for manual tranny oddities; I rode in a 1968 Ford LTD with a 390 and, a three on the tree, it was an export/diplomat car brought back to the USA.

Mexican market M bodies, 1980-82; could be had with 360-4V's and factory 4 gears. That era Dodge Magnum=Dodge Diplomat here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmYiKUGEowQ