AF: 1978 Volare | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1978 Volare

Discussion in 'F-J-M: Volare, Diplomat, etc, 1977-89' started by Glen Howald, May 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Glen Howald

Glen Howald Member

Hi

I recently inherited a 1978 Volare in great shape. It was stored indoors the past 30 years. Original kilometers are 64000. It has the super six engine.

Would anyone have any idea of the value I might expect should I decide to sell it?

Any assistance appreciated.

Glen

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Body style, options, and overall condition make a huge deal. A two door with lots of equipment will be worth more than a plain four door. Does great shape mean it looks like new in and out. The slant 6 will hurt value some.

A big factor will be if the grill is perfect or not.

These cars have a small, but dedicated, following. But they often don’t sell for the high prices People claim they are appraised for. Price guides are often overly optimistic.

AHBGuru and JohnRogers like this.
  3. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Nada doesn't think it's worth much, even as a 2-door:

1978 Plymouth Volare 2 Door Sport Coupe Prices, Values & Volare 2 Door Sport Coupe Price Specs (at https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1978/Plymouth/Volare/2-Door-Sport-Coupe/Values )

Most of those currently for sale are asking more, but their ads are still up. When introduced, the Volare and Aspen were among the most recalled cars of the time, but the bugs were eventually eliminated, and by 1978, it was a decent car. Plymouth was Chrysler's price leader, so the Volare was the cheaper of the two.

You might consider driving it to some local meets and talking with any Mopar people you see to gauge what it might fetch.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

To me, having a slant-6 gives it more value. I know that goes counter to blue books, but I value that engine more than any other. And it had plenty of power in this car.

Citation84 likes this.
  5. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

Sport coupes like Road Runner and Super Coupe can command prices around $15K. These cars are exceptional in condition and complete for show and go. Wagons are getting hot. Most really nice Volaré sell between $5-7K. Cars needing a restoration sell for about $1-2K.

6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

7. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Me too.
    Engine choice would not be a drawback buying a Volare. Dad had a couple Volare/Aspens with 225s. Mine had a 318 and I thought it ran well back then. Neither would be called fast compared to todays cars.
    Just the sound of a slant six cranking over brings smiles at any car show. Wing, ding, ding, ding!

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  8. hayzoos

hayzoos Member

Super six? Make sure your have it tuned well. Then have any potential buyer test drive it. My super six 79 LeBaron ran very nicely. That particular configuration jumps pretty good off the line. It's not a high MPH ranger though.

Value? Find the right buyer. LOL. As others have mentioned though particular details matter. First impression matters (exterior), and second (interior), then structure and mechanical or vice versa.

9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

My new 1978 Plymouth Volare with the "Fun Runner" package. Basically a Road Runner with the Super Six engine. Great car ! Had the lockup torque converter. I got 30 mpg on the highway doing an extended cruise.
    1978 Plymouth Volare.jpg

10. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

At Chrysler Engineering we called the starter the Highland Park Hummingbird:rolleyes:.

Doug D, AHBGuru, Dave Z and 1 other person like this.
  11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I'd be tempted to swap my Valiant for a super six Volare.

valiant67 likes this.
  12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Both good choices, the Super Six is a great set up. Maybe someday I’ll convert my 80 LeBaron to a super six - but the parts are getting harder to find.

13. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

19FDD2C6-6010-4539-9525-39374F50DD78.jpeg
    This is my 76 I purchased in 77.
    sssshhh, The 318 easily buried the speedometer at 110 with plenty of pedal left.

Doug D and Dave Z like this.
  14. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

"Idon'twannastart,Idon'twannastart,Idon'twannastart"

(my '79 St Regis A38 in very cold weather)

15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I could always tell when a Chrysler product of that era was starting up. Dad's '75 Fury and '72 Charger had that distinctive sound.