AF: 1981 Plymouth Gran Fury Police car for sale | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1981 Plymouth Gran Fury Police car for sale

Discussion in 'Police, Taxis, Ambulances, etc' started by Gordo6100, May 14, 2020.

1. Gordo6100

Gordo6100 Member

1981 Plymouth gran fury original OPP cruiser for sale. This car was completely restored in 1999. All the original equipment for the time is on the car. 360 bbl with new intake and carb. A727 trans was rebuilt last year. In excellent shape and very reliable car. contact [email protected]

TommyDodge and wolfsblood07 like this.
  2. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Sounds nice.

I wouldn't use the word "restored", however, for an '81 model that has a 360 engine. 1980 was the last year for the 360 in North American passenger vehicles.

Perhaps it's the E48 318 4bbl?

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Rough location would be nice

O=Ohio? Oklahoma? Oregon? Origami? Oakdale?

Tony K and TommyDodge like this.
  4. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Ontario Porta-Potty

(I used the SWAG method)

5. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Ontario Provincial Police was my first guess. Note; if this 1981 Fury is a legit Cdn market car; its 318-4V was non catalyst from new, 318-2V vehicles had cats everywhere.

Tony K likes this.
  6. Gordo6100

Gordo6100 Member

360 4bbl where available in Canada as a special order not only in police cars but in towing packages for the New Yorker. The engine code is special order

TommyDodge likes this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

This wouldn’t be the first time an engine stayed around longer in Canada. The Super Six 2bbl slant 6 was only offered in 78-79 in the US but stayed around until 80 or 81 in Canada.

8. Bearhawke

360 went away after 1979 in Calif, stayed till 1980 in the USA and (probably) Canada. Mexican M bodies; they could be had with a 360-4V; true non cat dual exhaust, NO smog pump, NO ELB either; till the end of that platform SoB in 1982

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  9. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, I didn't saw lots of Chrysler R-body police for the Surêté du Québec(SQ)/Quebec provincial police, they used C and B-body Fury, Impalas (later Caprices), G-body Malibu along with some LTD, even some smaller Fox-body Fairmont and M-body Diplomat.
    POLICE CANADA - QUEBEC - Sûreté du Québec (at https://policecanada.ca/policeca/qc/sq/sqoldcolor/index.html ) I miss the old colors sets they used for the SQ....

Bearhawke and TommyDodge like this.
  10. Gordo6100

Gordo6100 Member

The Ontario Provincial Police where pretty evenly split between the LTD, Impala and all the R-Bodies, Newports, Gran Fury and the St.Regis.

TommyDodge likes this.
  11. Gordo6100

Gordo6100 Member

The Rbody was a strange car in Canada. I had a 81 St.Regis as a teenager that I bought at the auction and it had a 360 as well and I guess they must have overrun by a month or so because supposedly the Newport was only made in 1979 but I had a 1980. Also this Gran Fury is a duplicate VIN car and when I contacted Chrysler about it they said that was a common mistake back then!

TommyDodge and wolfsblood07 like this.
  12. Gordo6100

Gordo6100 Member

13. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Ok, time to analyze this, and this is my opinion based on significant experience, and from research right here on Allpar:

Yes, mistakes were common in the '70s on fender tags and broadcast sheets, but most certainly not the VIN, which were, and are, vehicle-specific. It is highly doubtful one would be able to register a vehicle in the US or Canada, for which a "duplicate" VIN exists/existed. That's more than a red flag - it's a giant, flashing red LED stop sign.

After March of 1980, all R-body models were built at Lynch Road (Plymouth), which closed in April of 1981.
    Windsor (Ontario) Engine, which built the 360, closed in July of 1980 . Saltillo (MX), which got the truck 360, did not begin production of that engine until May of 1981, over a month after production at Lynch Road ceased.

Yes, R bodies are rare, particularly the '81 models. No, there's no way they could've screwed up the VIN on any vehicle. No, the 360 could not have been available from the factory in any '81 passenger car, as Chrysler discontinued use of the 360 in all passenger vehicles in March of 1980.
    I could not find a build-out date for the '81 models at Lynch Road, but if we used September of '80, that's over 6 months beyond the end of 1980 production.

In order for the numbers to make sense, they have to match - the car's actual VIN, its fender tag(s), engine, and transmission - all must match. The premise of a "duplicate" VIN throws a significant wrench into anyone looking to verify the numbers.

That all having been said, this is not to say the car isn't legit (never say "never" with older Chryslers !), but there are some peculiarities that would have to be confirmed/resolved.

Bearhawke and Tony K like this.
  14. Gordo6100

Gordo6100 Member

I bought this car in 1987 and when I registered it they told me it was a duplicate vin and once they seen the seller they were able to tell which one it was. Also the other vehicle was blue and this one was black so they were able to tell them apart. I contacted the Chrysler Canadian head office regarding the engine and also about the duplicate VIN and he told me it was not uncommon for that to happen and my reply was that kind of defeats the whole purpose of the VIN

15. Gordo6100

Gordo6100 Member

Sorry. That should say I bought the car in 1997.

16. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Yes, absolutely, that negates the entire purpose of the VIN, but here's my next thoughts - provided the collars and cuffs match on yours, it would make the other car the phony.

Please let us know what you can figure out!

17. Bearhawke

Not entirely true; the 360-4V was still offered in the Mexican market through at least 1982; their Dodge Magnum (2 door Diplomat) had such an animal; no cats, no smog pump, full dual exhausts and, no ELB, either.

18. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

All true, but not really online with R and M body production for the US and Canada.

Since production of the 360LA shifted from Windsor (03/80) to Saltillo (circa 09/80), the possibility of any group of 360s being ordered AND factory installed into any R or M body for 1981 was somewhere between none or less.

One other guess I would make, is since Canada cars with the E48/ELE police engine were built largely without the ESC/EFC that US cars got, at least until 1987, it would not be hard to misidentify the engine as a 360. Measure the left engine mount ...