Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1983 Horizon rear trailing arm interchange with 1988/89

Discussion in 'L: Horizon/Omni, Rampage, etc' started by angelescityrunner, Mar 5, 2016.

1. angelescityrunner

I need to replace the rear trailing arm on a 1988 Horizon. After waiting over a year a 1983 Horizon has been sent to the local U-Pull-It. The arms are not constructed the same but the geometry may be the same to interchange them. Anyone know for sure?

2. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure but will ask on another site.

There were many running changes over the years, some parts swap directly, others don't.

Jan, 26, 1983 was an important date as the cowl changed, preventing front fender swaps.

Thanks
    Randy

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

You appear to be in luck. I looked in my Motor Crash Estimating Guide and the rear crossmember shows the same Mopar 4420380 part number used from 1979-1990 for L-body 2 and 4 doors.
    The rear leaf-sprung Rampage and Scamp were different of course.

GLHS60 likes this.
  4. angelescityrunner

Randy. The 1983 Horizon is now in the company of the Dodge version of the little pickup (Rampage or Scamp) and a 1986 Daytona TurboZ. You can see the "Chrysler Problem" of this generation on all of these cars. Or maybe I should say that what you don't see is the front floors if you peel the carpet back. All 3 have straight body panels and their interiors look OKay.

Since you have so many of the L-bodies maybe you can answer the question of how to turn one of my 88 or 89 3 speed automatic Horizons into a standard transmission car. That 86 Daytona TurboZ has a 5 speed which is listed as a 525 on the U-Pull-It yard's computer. My problem is I need everything for a conversion from computer, harness and linkage, shifter, clutch pedal.

5. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

While the computers, (SMEC) are different between automatic and manual there is no problem using an automatic SMEC with a manual trans.

There is a slight difference in idle when coming to a stop.

1988-89 SMEC's are functionally interchangeable although they have different numbers.

Automatics had a neutral start safety switch on the trans. but 5 speeds did not.

1987 and on vehicles other than L body used large spline inner axles both auto and manual but 1988 and newer automatic only L bodys got the same large spline inner axles.

This means your Horizons will have large spline inner axles but the 1986 Daytona will not.

As L body axles are shorter you might consider finding a much stronger A-520 or A-555 with matching shifter and cables from any 1987 - 1989 FWD Chrysler other than L body as manual L bodys never received large spline inner axles.

1990 and newer 5 speed will also work as long as the shifter and cables match the trans.

As the pedals are unique to L bodys finding a manual 2.2L L body donor would also be ideal as it would have pedals, linkage shifter, drivers side trans. mount bracket and axles but still the weaker A-525.

All other vehicles used a cable shifter so you should try and get matching trans, shifter and cables.

If you decide to use the 1986 Daytona A-525 you would also need the shifter and cables as A-525 shifter and cables are unique. Although the Daytona cables are longer I have used them in L bodys with no problem other than needing to make a hole in the floor for them to pass through.

You will still need L body manual trans axles, pedals and drivers side manual transmission mount bracket which is also unique to L bodys. Automatic trans brackets are different. Also 1983 and earlier drivers side trans brackets were different than 1984 and newer.

Coincidentally, if you found an L body donor, the linkage shifter uses the same hole in the floor as the automatic L bodys.

Another thing to consider is the flywheel as early Engines used a 6 bolt and later used an 8 bolt.
    The change from 6 to 8 bolt was a running change 1985-1986 along with 10 mm to 11 mm head bolts.
    1986 should be 8 bolt but there have been exceptions.

As mentioned there are three basic trans/shifter and cable combinations, 1986 and older, 1987-88-89 and 1990 and newer. They do not interchange. All factory L bodys used a linkage or rod shifter, no cables.

I hope this makes sense!!!

Thanks
    Randy