Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I've always liked those cars. To bad the 318 or even the few 360s they had were so smoged down. If I had the money to waste I'd get one and put a new hemi in it.

2. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I like the way you think. :cool:

Adventurer55 likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It’s not even the smogged 318 engine that was the problem. It was gearing. Take a dead stock Mirada with a 318 and do nothing but change from the terrible 2.2 rear gears to 2.9 or so (and adjust the lockup timing on the torque converter) and you’ve got a car that still passes emissions, performs way better, gets better gas mileage in town and only slightly worse gas mileage on the highway.

Been there, done that twice, with otherwise stock 1981 Mirada and 1982 Chrysler NY Fifth Avenue.

rapidtrans likes this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Also the 1981 and later V8 cats benefited from a lower first gear in the 904-based transmission. It did give a bit more performance off the line, but made a wider shift to second which made the engine’s low output noticeable with the stock gearing as it almost lugged the engine.

5. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

We had a new 83 Imperial. If it would've had better gears in the rear and even the 88 TBI it would've made a nice reliable car. We never had any issues with the FI, but we got rid of it before anything developed. A 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum would've made these J bodies fantastic.

voiceofstl likes this.