Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1986 Dodge 2.2 crankshaft main bearing caps

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by andybuzz2u, May 6, 2017.

1. andybuzz2u

andybuzz2u Member

Does anyone know where I can get a set of main bearing caps?

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Main bearing caps stay with the block itself, or basically, shouldn't be swapped around unless you also line bore the main bearing saddles, so, if you need a set of main bearing caps you most likely have to get them off another 2.2 engine (I think they are the same as the ones on a 2.5), and then have them properly sized to the block. I suggest a salvage yard for the first part, a machine shop that can line bore a block, second.

3. andybuzz2u

andybuzz2u Member

Yeah, I know all of that. I would like a new set. They only made a gazillion 2.2's so surely new main bearing caps are out there.

4. manybrews

manybrews Active Member

You would probably be better off finding a used bare block with the caps.
    Wouldn't require machining, and I would think you could pick one up cheap.

pt006 likes this.
  5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, they did make an awful lot of them, but no, unless you find aftermarket, they are kind of like finding rod caps by themselves, they just aren't around like that to purchase, they come with the block. But, like I said, might be able to get aftermarket, beefier ones that would still need to be line bored after installation.

6. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

If you want a set, I have a 2.2L long block I am going to scrap (it was apparently run very low on oil, #1 cylinder wall looks like it has furrows in it). I will gladly pull them off and if the mains haven't spun in them you are welcome to them.

7. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Before you leap, find a machine shop that does this type of work and ask them the cost.

8. andybuzz2u

andybuzz2u Member

If you still have them I would be interested.