Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1986 OMNI TURBO: FEB.22,1986: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY !!

Discussion in 'L: Horizon/Omni, Rampage, etc' started by GLHS60, Feb 22, 2015.

1. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I bought my Black 1986 Omni Turbo Feb, 22, 1986, the car in my avatar, and its still in my garage today!!
    It was a great reliable, economical and fast friend for the initial few years and in 1997 I installed the complete 300 H.P. Super 60 system for even more fun!!

Thanks
    Randy

71Charger_fan, PCRMike and wtxiceman like this.
  2. 88horizon5speed

Wow, that's really awesome! Congrats! If you have time would you mind sharing how many miles it has, and what issues it has had over its life?

Also out of curiosity how much in the way of rust do you have? I'm assuming you don't drive at all in the winter anymore to keep it from rusting...I'm hoping to have my 88 be its last winter and get a truck as a dd to save this car

#2 88horizon5speed, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  3. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I appreciate the kind words!! I never had any problems with the car and when Mopar offered the Super 60 deal I bought the entire setup back in 1997. The Super 60 was advertised as 300 H.P. at 18 psi. but I often run 24, via a switch mounted on my shifter allowing instant boost settings of 6-12-18-24 psi at the flick of the switch. He really doesn't have any rust but I try to keep care of him, especially at his age. The odo is at about 78,000 km presently.

Its nice you are giving your 1988 good care as they are getting scarce, very easy model to Turbo if one is bent that way!!

Thanks
    Randy

4. 88horizon5speed

Thats awesome to hear, and thanks Ive gained a liking to the car in the two years ive owned it. I wish I could have owned it since new

5. Donnie 3.0

Donnie 3.0 Well-Known Member

Hey, Congratulations, Randy!
    That's impressive!

6. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I appreciate the kind words guys!!

Thanks
    Randy

7. RamDakDust

RamDakDust Member

Congrats! Always got a kick out of those cars. Glad to see one got a good home and appreciated the way it should be.

8. turboomni

turboomni New Member

I have a Omni glhs and went the super 60 route back in the day. What I didn't like was the fact there was no knock sensor input so you had to run race gas all the time. I have remedied that and gotten rid of the super 60 type cam which only lasted 25,000 miles. I went to a roller with a milder profile. Still have the viper fuel pump in it which will be changed out soon. I found my Super 60 wiring harness's knock sensor circuit was basically disabled from the factory the way it was wired. I fixed that. So I went to a different computer [smec] with an aftermarket calibration with knock sensor input.
    Kept the +40 injectors. Not as powerful as before but still crazy compared to a glh turbo which I owned also with the mopar computer.

9. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

My Super 60 cam is still in nice condition but many others had problems. I used secret cam lube, cam caps with oil squirters and unrestricted head oiling, it might have helped or I was just lucky!!

I also have a custom SMEC with enhanced cruise control and it works nicely along manual boost control.

I have a heater switch on my shifter, 6-12-18-24 PSI at the flick of the switch !!

I installed the big Bosch in my tank as it was too noisy externally mounted.

Thanks
    Randy.

10. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

Very nice. Are you still running the stock A525 trans with 300 hp?

11. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

No, I replaced it with an A-555 from a Shelby Z that I used as a donor car for my build.

The Shelby Z also donated its wheels, shifter, cables, rear discs, cruise control and short block with forged crank and probably a few more bits.

I really liked the little smooth shifting A-525 but knew it wouldn't take much power.

The A-525 also had a shorter final drive ratio for more relaxed highway cruising.

Thanks
    Randy

Most recent picture:
    MVC-023S.JPG

12. turboomni

turboomni New Member

No way 525 would hold up as I went to a 555 also with custom axels and a forged crankshaft. A secret cam lube huh>? Is it top secret? I did not remove the oil restrictor in the head but did use the mopar upgrade oil pump which makes crazy psi. I know psi does not = flow..but still the S60 cam wore out actually at a higher milage than most. The squirters maybe the key. Too bad but I won't go back.

13. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

My friend used to own a 1987 Omni, no turbo, that had the A525 in it and he prefers the gear ratios in the Omni versus his 02 Neon with the 5 speed. As he would get a little better fuel mileage out of the Omni. He claims the engine revs a little to high compared to the Omni.

I had a 1987 Shelby CSX which Shelby could not get the Turbo II from Chrysler so he modified the Turbo I into a Turbo II and it still had the A 520 trans. So Shelby had to de-tune the torque.
    I had nothing but trouble with that cable shifter as it would jamb or not go into a gear. I was constantly adjusting and playing with the shifter and cables.
    I drove a few other Shadows with the 5 speed and the gear shift lever felt different in each car. One Shadow I drove, when shifting from 1st into 2nd gear the lockout for reverse would take a hop and you could feel the lever jump.

#13 ka9yhd, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  14. turboomni

turboomni New Member

There is an adjustment of what you are talking about. I hacked a bunch of cables from the junk yard so I could see what worked best as far as length. There are adjustments you can make ,making sure the cables are secure and a pin if I remember you reversed and then adjusted the throws from the shifter. This was in the early 1990"s when I did this.

15. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

And that is the adjustment I was doing as per the service manual.

16. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

It's that time again!!

31 years today since I bought my Omni Turbo.

Thanks
    Randy

PCRMike and Bob Lincoln like this.
  17. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Sweet! One of the best "giant killers" we ever made.

18. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Right on Fast Eddie!!

My internet pal James Reeves is still killing it, 9.99 !!

Thanks
    Randy

Broke the crank!!