Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1987 LeBaron Coupe

Discussion in 'Cars for Sale or swap' started by ntrodda, Aug 3, 2017.

1. ntrodda

ntrodda Active Member

Looking at selling my LeBaron coupe. The car has been in my family for 30 years. It was purchased new by my grandfather, who kept in garaged and only drove it infrequently from his home in Seattle to Burien and back. In 2000, he gave the car to me. I've tried to care for the car and have succeeded in keeping it running despite the dwindling supply of parts out there for it. I've kept it up to now for sentimental reasons, but recently I've come to realize that it is time to let it go.

The car was purchased in Burien, WA in February 1988. It is Ice Blue with blue interior. The engine is a 2.2L Turbo I mated to a 3 speed automatic. Currently it has 150,000 miles on it and I have all of the service records back to its first oil change. The car was driven cross country to Florida once, where my grandfather had the windows tinted. The interior is in excellent condition, very nearly mint. All digital instrumentation with voice alert (my grandparents referred to him as "Oscar"). I think the only top end option it doesn't have is the top of the line radio.

The car is the easiest car to maintain as the spark plugs, distributor and oil filter are located at the front of the engine.

The car has had the head gasket replaced twice, once while I have had it. I had the head rebuilt at that time since it had a slight miss at idle along with a new timing belt. Now the engine just purrs. The AC/fan relay will often fail without warning, and the car alerts you by overheating.

The AC works great and has been converted to R134a. Original compressor, dryer and condenser.

I replaced all of the vacuum hoses as the old ones had become brittle. Almost the entire cooling system has been replaced, except for the heater core.

The drive axles are like new. The control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends and bushings are all new. It could use a front end alignment.

Power steering pump is new. Front brake calipers are new. The engine control module was replaced as the car was eating alternators and I suspected the voltage regulator was bad. Haven't had any problems since doing that.

The car has a few dents and scratches. Most of the paint is in good condition, but the clear coat has started to cloud and separate, mainly on the roof and hood. The doors are a PITA...they'll try to kill you on a hill and letting them swing open will bend the hinges.

I refinished the wheels last year and had new white wall tires mounted.

I have two manuals to go with the car, a new oil pan, and a spare drive axle, along with some other parts.

I'd like the car to go to someone who can appreciate the car and won't totally trash it. You don't see many LeBaron coupes around, just convertibles. It will never be as popular or coveted as a muscle car, but it has a unique style for its era. The car just flies off the line and is a lot of fun to drive.

I have photos of the car and can send them on request. Thanks.

2. desotocrazy

desotocrazy Active Member

Price? I've always liked the coupes.

3. NEMopar

NEMopar Active Member

Pics and location?

4. ntrodda

ntrodda Active Member

5. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Good luck on the sale , but I think your price is a little high, just my opinion.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

He said he would take offers.

7. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I don't think he would like some of them. When you place a price on a car and then say you will take offers, everyone knows that you want them in the range of the asking price.

8. djd's turbo

djd's turbo Active Member

That would be a cool car to have. Even better: a 5 sp. turbo. Hope it sells for you!