AF: 1988 dodge w100 tbi to carb | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1988 dodge w100 tbi to carb

Discussion in 'Pre-1994 trucks, commercial vehicles' started by William Farrow, Sep 24, 2020.

1. William Farrow

William Farrow New Member

Hey fellas,

First post here. Glad to be part of the community and a grateful owner of a 1988 w100 318.

Question I have is can this be swapped from tbi to a carbureted?

Was looking at an msd ready to run distributor, edelbrock intake and avs carburetor. But I do not know what the ecm controls on this vehicle. Is it only the motor or do things like the a/c, instrument cluster, etc run off this as well?

Will a ready to run distributor work with tbi if it has to stay that way?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Billy

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

You either need to leave the EFI and distributor as is or replace both.

The only things that you may run into problems with is the transmission. Lock up and overdrive (if so equipped) are controlled by the computer and once you modify by eliminating the TBI you will have to accommodate those functions possibly with manual switches.

3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Since carbs are vastly inferior to EFI, I don't see the advantage or desire to retrogress.

AHBGuru likes this.
  4. William Farrow

You're saying the throttle body injection is superior to carbureted? Not getting confused with a fuel injection rail system? This does not have that. Had a 1984 318 with carburetor and the throttle response and power seemed a lot higher

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes, even a TBI system is much better than a carbed one. More precise and faster response to throttle and air/fuel mixture changes, better performance over wide temperature ranges, far lower emissions.

Doug D and AHBGuru like this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I agree with Bob. I went from a 1987 Dodge Dakota with the 3.9 v6 and a 2 bbl carb. I traded it for a 1988 Dodge Dakota also a 3.9 V6 but with TBI. The 1988 simply ran better, smoother and slightly more power.

Even TBI is advanced enough it won’t send enough fuel to over riches the engine, which helps oil and the engine last longer.

RalphP likes this.
  7. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Electronic fuel injection whether it be throttle body or multiport, individual cylinder fuel injection is far better under all driving conditions than a carburetor. Electronic controls meter fuel precisely and exactly what the engine needs under all conditions of load, temperature, etc. Mechanical carburetors can only optimize to a certain point. A carburetor choke set for ideal starts in summer months will need readjustment for quick, fast, no stumble starts in cold winter temperatures. No cold engine hesitation and stumbling with fuel injection which you typically get with a carburetor. As others have said moving from fuel injection to carburetion is a definite step backward.

Doug D likes this.
  8. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

We had an 87 Ramcharger with a carb, and bought an 88 with the TBI. They are correct, there's a world of difference in driveability cold starts etc. That's assuming your system is working properly.

9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Agree that even the most basic EFI is far better than the best carb set up.

I absolutely hated the carb in my '79 Monza. It could be difficult to start at times. The 4 barrel carb in my '79 El Camino (hand me down from Dad) some how got messed up and it was going to be $300 for a rebuild. Ended up traded it for a '86 LeBaron GTS - needed a family vehicle and the El Camino had to go.

Neighbor has a Mustang in his yard. Previous owner removed the EFI and put a carb on it. Well, guess what? The damn thing won't run. When it did run it did not run well.

10. William Farrow

Thanks for all the replies!

That settles it for me then. Will stay with the tbi. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but really did like the user friendliness of a carb. Question now is, what can I do to get more power out of it without killing the bank? I am going to redo the heads as it does have leaking valve stem seals.

11. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Look and research and try and find companies that do electronic fuel injection tuning for performance. These types of companies re-engineer the software code that manages engine operation under all conditions to give greater performance.

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

One option that will require wiring changes would be to upgrade from the 1988 TBI setup to the 1992-1995 Magnum engine. With access to a parts truck like a 92-93 (same body as yours) the swap is not me that will gain both power and drivability even with stock parts.