Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1988 dodge w150 360 loading up/ hesitate ting when taking off when warm.

Discussion in 'Pre-1994 trucks, commercial vehicles' started by upser145, May 10, 2017.

1. upser145

upser145 Member

i have a 88 dodge with a 360 all stock but when it gets completely operational temperature when im stop and i barely press the gas it acts like it wants to bog down for a second any ideas? thanks once again

2. NYBo

Level III Supporter

A faulty coolant temperature sensor or a vacuum leak could cause this. The former would cause a rich mixture, the latter, a lean one.

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Is the 1988 360 TBI injection or does it still have a carb? My thought is it's probably a Quadrajet carb and may need carb work. In either case I'd check the timing and the possibility the O2 sensor is bad which would affect the carb if it's a feedback carb.

4. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

'88 360s were still QJet/flat tappet/587 heads, and were set up almost identically to the M body squads.
    The light-duty '89 ELZ 360 got TBI, hydraulic rollers, and the 308 heads, while some HD motors got everything but the TBI (17085432 carb).

An '88 D150 would most likely have a 17087175 carb, or variation thereof. AC Delco still makes basic rebuild kits for all Mopar QJets, and a few of the full rebuild kits may even be in Mopar, if not GM, dealership inventories.

Make certain the "throttle body" baseplate is flat, and the bushings don't leak (common). Also check that the idle mixture screws aren't stripped, and that a QJet-specific baseplate (not a TQ) gasket is used. You can easily convert the truck-style choke pull-off to the squad's more compact and effective setup, but the initial adjustments are a pain. Set the float level to Chevy spec's, and it'll run like EFI. Don't forget a new choke thermostat, and a new, correct shorty fuel filter, spring, and gasket within the fuel inlet.

5. upser145

upser145 Member

mine doesnt have a coolant sensor i believe i believe 88 was the last year before they put them on a 360

6. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

You should have a choke heater switch near the #6 branch of the intake, a temp sending unit at the right front in the intake; a CCVS in the left front of the intake (adjacent to thermostat), and possibly another in the rad.
    It's not something to get excited over - since your truck would not have the Electronic Fuel Control (feedback carb), only the choke heater switch would directly affect how it runs.

Make sure the carb is good, you've got correctly gapped Champion copper plugs, a quality set of wires, ensure the distributor is correct and in good shape (including correct cap/rotor). Check timing and timing advance. Check for vacuum leaks - the little plastic tubes get brittle and leak. If you're running EGR, you can substitute a smaller orifice washer (aftermarket egr's usually gives 3-5 sizes of washers).