AF: 1990 New Yorker Fifth Ave electrical issue | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1990 New Yorker Fifth Ave electrical issue

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by akersanth, Nov 28, 2019.

1. akersanth

akersanth New Member

Hey there!
    So, I to the dash loose in my car to clean out the air box of mouse nest and put everything back and now I my digital cluster doesn’t come on, no interior lights of any kind, my radio has no lights or power, the overhead display where the map lights are doesn’t work and I can’t turn the dome lights on with the headlight switch.

The car runs and drives perfect other than that. Climate control works and lights come on when the headlights are on.

Any direction you can give me to look would be great. It’s getting harder to work for long in the colder temperatures.

Thanks in advance! Y’all are awesome!

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Before trying anything else, try wiggling the key while it is in the in position and see if any of these items come back to life.

3. akersanth

akersanth New Member

It has a newer ignition in it. It’s a different key than the rest of the vehicle. I will try that though as soon as I get back in town.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The lower right corner of the instrument panel is where the BCM resides. The BCM controls those items you listed. Perhaps a connector was left unplugged behind the kickpanel? (see top/right image):

[​IMG]

5. akersanth

akersanth New Member

Both plugs on top are still plugged in. I never unplugged those. I am going to check them again. Any ideas as to where the power comes from for the BCM?

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The 1992 BCM connector info is here on 8W-530 and 531, but may be different than 1990:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals/1992_AX_Acclaim_Dynasty_LeBaron_Shadow_FifthAvenue/92FWD_8W.PDF
    A disconnected intermediate connector in the dash may also be possible if it got disturbed or pulled on by the mouse nest removal.

You might best be served by finding 1990 service information and wiring diagrams. Your larger public library may have older service manuals, Motors or Mitchells in the backroom stacks? Ask.
    Being 30 years old, the online websites like Alldata or Autozone Repair guides may be spotty or incomplete for this old information.

The 1990 Chrysler FWD service manual set is a 3-volume set. They can be found on ebay, etc. It might be good to have a set for the car if you are doing your own work at this level:

[​IMG]

7. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Typically the BCM has a constant 12V feed from the courtesy light circuit (pink wire), the dash lights are also controlled in it but are fed from the headlight switch. Have you checked for any blown fuses?

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  8. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Fuse.

akersanth likes this.
  9. akersanth

akersanth New Member

I am going to check for blown fuses soon. It got cold and snowy here As soon as I get a pretty day I am going to look at it again. It’s bugging me that it’s not working