Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 IROC Dodge Daytona Engine Install

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by Erik O., Apr 29, 2017.

1. Erik O.

Erik O. New Member

Hello,

I'm struggling to install a 3.0 V6 engine into my 1991 Daytona. I dropped the engine into the engine bay and I cannot get the driver's side motor mount bolt holes to line up with the holes in the frame. I got the motor mount holes on the passenger side lined up. How do I line up the motor mount holes on the driver's side? The wiring harness also makes it tough to see the motor mount holes.

Thanks,
    Erik

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Is this the engine/transaxle that came with the car or are you fitting a V6 in it?
    The left mount is different for the 3-spd (auto), 4-spd (auto) and 5-spd (stick) transaxles. A different mount is also used in the LeBaron Convertible (AJ-27) than the Daytona/LeBaron Coupe/Sedan.
    Is there a Mopar # stamped on the mount?

3. Erik O.

Erik O. New Member

The engine and transaxle are original for the car. The transaxle is a five speed. I bought the car from my former boss and the engine was completely disassembled because he bought new internals for the engine and he didn't have time to complete the project. The transaxle was fully assembled. I don't believe there is a part number for the mount but it is the original.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

If it is all the original assembly, then it should go back in. Maybe the wiring harness can be unfastened and moved out of the way to get a better look?

5. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

If it is like most FWD Mopars of that era, the left (driver's side) mount will slide about 1 1/2 - 2 inches left and right. The front mount is also adjustable on the body. I always did this type of job with the front mount bracket or insulator depending on which way it is made off the body so all I have to deal with is the side mounts allowing me to use a pry bar or some long bolts with the heads cut off to line up the right mount. The right and front mounts are the ones that align the engine/transaxle in the proper location for the axles.