Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1993 Chevy Lumina 3.1L cranks well but no start, not even with vapor down the intake.

Discussion in 'Non-Mopar Tech Support' started by Bearhawke, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Short story is I bought a 1993 Chevy Lumina last night; it ran very badly but was able to get it home.

Tried to start it this morning but; it would start, car cranks fine. I sprayed some carb cleaner down the PCV hose fitting on the air intake duct and, it started then idled roughly.

Drove it to a shop close by; had to 'power brake' it to keep from dying at lights. Got to shop and scanned it; 4 codes (IAC, coolant temp sensor and a couple of others). Cleared the codes but the temp sensor remained; replaced it and cleared the code (14) again but it kept coming back, the 3 others stayed off.

Drove car; it ran rough and is down on power but no longer stalled at stoplights. I swung into a gas station and topped off the tank with premium fuel, started driving home, was almost there then the car died in flight. At least I was close to the house I was able to coast on in.

Now no start at all; engine cranks well but nothing, not even a sputter when I sprayed carb cleaner down the intake.

I'm guessing something ignition related but; underhood work isn't my forte.

EDIT: I went out and hit the key again; car started right up but still ran rough although it still didn't die in gear, drove it next to the house and parked it for now.

2. Bearhawke

I went out and futzed with my Lumina again; on a hunch I replaced a coil pack and, it seems to run a whole lot better. The wires that go into the bracket for the three coil packs seemed loose. Too, I made an educated guess as it which of the three was bad, replaced it and may've gotten lucky.

3. Bearhawke

Bad news:

Car started overheating badly and bubbling through the coolant. You guessed it: a blown head gasket when I yanked the back (firewall side) head. At least the cylinder bores look decent and the valves appear to be OK so, I'm going to throw on a set of new head gaskets and cross my fingers.

JA Cumbo likes this.
  4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Probably a stupid question, but have you checked the cat con to see if it's clogging up?

5. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

That thing is related to (descended from) the 2.8 of 1980. When I was selling MAC tools the 2.8 was keeping engine rebuilding shops in my area in business. Both head gaskets and bottom ends were trouble. I've been told that the 3.1 was a great improvement in all areas, but you may be beating a dead horse there anyway. Both of those engines look great on paper as they follow the general pattern of the Chevy small block. OTOH the /6 looks like a worthless POS on paper---. Too bad you're not driving paper.