Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1994 3.0 from Lebaron into a 1989 Dynasty ?

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by dynasty warrior, Dec 4, 2017.

1. dynasty warrior

Found a possibly good deal on a low millage 3.0 Mitsubishi engine from a 1994 Chrysler LeBaron . I would like to swap out a 1989 3.0 Mitsubishi in my Dynasty . The seller says sensors and injectors may be different but should bolt right in . Too much difference in parts interchange ? Just starting to look into this . Thanks .

2. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

There were some internal modifications in the engine heads around 1990 - 91. Go to this link. Mitsubishi 3.0 liter V-6 engine (at https://www.allpar.com/mopar/3.html )

If valve size and / or camshaft profile timing changed, this would affect the volumetric efficiency of the engine for the 1994 year. However you will be using the engine control software for a 1989 model (before the engine head modifications) so that might cause issues. The engine might run but the CHECK ENGINE lamp might be illuminated continuously.

The 1994 engine was built for sequential, port fuel injection and the 1989 version pulsed all injectors together. Injectors and the wiring harness from the 1989 engine would have to be used.

The issue with doing this swap is not tied so much to parts replacement. The headache that awaits you is the difference in the engine management software used on what seems to be identical yet modified engines from different model years.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I use the Mopar reman catalogs for interchange reference information. It will tell me what years share a same reman part #, but it won't tell me what is different about them if they don't. Anyway, it is usually all I have to know.
    It looks like 1987-1997 passenger cars and 1987-2000 minivans share the same Mopar reman head part # RM533087. See p. 92 in the reman catalog:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Mopar Catalogs/2002_Mopar_Remanufactored_Parts.pdf
    Note that the camshaft is not supplied with the reman heads and may be a different profile for different applications. You may want to swap over the old cam and rockers.

4. dynasty warrior

not so much the parts I am trying to see if a whole engine swap the 89 comes out and the 94 goes in then how do the electrical connections work again . What I am seeing so far is the electrical on board memory box / computer differs from 1990 on . Fuel injection system also changes by 1994 .

5. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

You will have to look and compare every electrical item on the 1989 V6 to the 1994 V6 and see if the electrical connections are the same. Starter has 2 connection: a larger diameter wire from the battery and smaller diameter wire attached to the starter solenoid. That should be the same. Alternator has 4 connections: larger diameter ring terminal wire from the battery, 2 smaller ring terminal wires for the field, a ring terminal ground wire and possibly a strain relief. That should be the same on both engines.

The fuel injectors are different internally though the electrical connections may be the same. The 1989 wiring harness may connect to the 1994 injectors but the vehicle may not run properly and very well might have a CHECK ENGINE lamp illuminated continuously. The MAP sensors are different between the engines. The fuel injectors are different between the engines. You will need to check the throttle position sensor and automatic idle speed sensor. Electrical connections could be the same but the sensors internally might be different for each engine. You will need to compare distributors between the engines. Are the parts numbers the same for 1989 and 1994? If YES then you know they are interchangeable and will work on the 1989 vehicle. If NO then the distributors are different and may cause problems with engine performance.

You will need to check the connectors at the coolant temperature sensor and the oil pressure switch or sensor. The 1989 Dynasty probably has air conditioning that was build with R12 refrigerant. The 1994 V6 engine has a different compressor (R134a) and compressor mounting bracket. the bracket from the 1989 should bolt onto the 1994 V6 engine without problems.

The 1994 V6 engine used a crankshaft position sensor but since the 1989 V6 has no provision or usage, that should not cause an issue. You will need to check the MAP sensor and make sure it is the same connector.

You will need to check vacuum hose routing. The 1989 V6 might have a vacuum hose and attaching nipple that was eliminated on the 1994 V6 engine. Are the throttle bodies from each engine the same?

This engine swap may be doable but you are going to have to swap a multitude MORE parts than you think to get the 1994 engine to run properly in the 1989 vehicle.

#5 AllanC, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:00 AM
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 2:10 AM
  6. dynasty warrior

I would be better off finding a 1994 LeBaron with a shot engine . Than switching one into an older car .

7. dynasty warrior

Engine swap idea is dead . Got sold .