AF: 1994 B350 for camper conversion? | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1994 B350 for camper conversion?

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Stephen, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Stephen

Stephen Active Member

I know. My '94 has fuel injection. I figure it's gotta be one of two things: carb retrofit or clueless seller. Wanna bet on which?

2. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

Clueless seller.

awyseguy likes this.
  3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Well, the less knowledgeable might mistake the throttle body for a carb.

Bearhawke likes this.
  4. Stephen

Stephen Active Member

And another one. You know, if I had a little extra cash I could have quite a fleet.

1996 Dodge 3500 van (at https://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/d/colonial-beach-1996-dodge-3500-van/6836002294.html )

1996 Dodge 3500 van - $1800

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1996 Dodge 3500 van

fuel: gas
    title status: clean
    transmission: automatic

1996 Dodge 3500 13 passenger van with high roof. 318 motor, automatic transmission, cold a.c., hot heat, good tires, good inspection. Runs really well. Drives great. 132,000 original miles. Clean title in hand. One minor dent in the passenger door, BROKEN WINDOW IN PICTURE HAS BEEN REPLACED. $1,800 obo Please call for more information. show contact info

5. Stephen

Stephen Active Member

Another slight diversion. We moved to this neighborhood about six years ago and during some get-oriented meanderings I spotted this jewel, an A100 van sinking into the driveway of a rundown-looking house about two miles from our place. It has not budged. I recently posted about it on another forum and one guy asked me for more info. He searched out the owner, whose dad bought the van new, and is going to buy the thing for a van project he has long wanted to do. According to what he told me, it's a '67 with about 130K miles, slant 6 with 3 on the tree and rusted rockers. I'll post more pics if I get the chance.
    Dodge A100.JPG

6. Stephen

Stephen Active Member

Well, that was fast. The interested guy found the owner, who made him a good deal on the van and we all met up this morning to make this happen. Once I got a closer look I was relieved that my van lust never took off for this one, 'cause the degree of rust would have squelched it. It's a project for damn sure, but it looks like the van is going to a good home.

1_left profile.JPG

2_ front quarter.JPG

3_interior.JPG

4_dash.JPG

5_drag.JPG

Here you see Bob the Buyer on the left and Bob the Seller on the right, dutifully recorded by Bob the Enabler and Observer.(Stephen is my middle name.)
    6_Bobs.JPG

7. Stephen

Stephen Active Member

A few more of the sendoff.
    7_trailered.JPG 8_outbound.JPG 9_further.JPG 10_gone.JPG

Happy trails, little van! See you on the road again someday.

8. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I had a 67 window van auto with a 273 in it. Payed $350 for it back in the mid 90's. Had alot fun with it.

9. Stephen

Stephen Active Member

A high school buddy's dad drove one of the pickups as a service vehicle and Robert really liked it.

10. Stephen

Stephen Active Member

Work on our conversion is still on hold pending the completion of the monster landscaping project. Meanwhile, yet another highroof turns up for sale. This one with tall doors side and rear and in the process of camper conversion. Jeez...

Dodge Ram Transit Van - $5000 (Williamsburg)

[​IMG]

1992 Dodge Ram

condition: good
    cylinders: 8 cylinders
    fuel: gas
    odometer: 92797
    rv type: other
    title status: clean
    transmission: automatic

Ready to start your new life on the road? Just looking for a place to crash? For either need this is the van for you. 1992 Dodge Ram Transit van converted into a high top. 5.5L 8 cylinders. A lot of work has already gone into making this van livable now you just need to add the details.

Cash only.

Cots not included.

11. r0bin

r0bin Member

Hi Stephen, you ever get around to getting the heads off? I noticed some telltale signs today, telling me that my newly acquired B350 Hightop Conversion will require a new gasket as well :/ Would be great if you could share your experience.
    Rob

12. Stephen

Stephen Active Member

Sorry for the delay in getting back here, @r0bin. Not yet. On a different forum I have the tagline "The never beginning project." I hope to get on it before June. I need a couple of weeks free (including machine shop time) for the van to be parked where it won't interfere with other tasks and still have access for a hoist, if needed. The hoist is in case things go really wrong.

Also sorry I can't be of more help. Post up some pix of your van and some details. Good luck!

13. r0bin

r0bin Member

Hi Stephen,
    a friend calmed me down a bit and suggested getting rid of all the grime first and checking whether it's really the head gasket. Looking at 30 years of oil everywhere I am not so sure anymore either (although there are some other signs ...). I'll try cleaning the area up and then see if I can identify a leak. Also I need to get to the car and take pictures of all the parts I might need to order when I have a package shipped over the sea.

Some pix of the area attached.

Left head:
    DSC01241.JPG DSC01244.JPG DSC01230.JPG

right head:
    DSC01248.JPG DSC01249.JPG DSC01237.JPG

14. r0bin

r0bin Member

Continued:

Dripping wet starter & cast number:
    2020-02-23 15.23.19.jpg 2020-02-23 15.22.49.jpg

There she is with the little brother, the voyager drives like a go-cart in comparison :D
    2020-03-05 19.22.16.jpg

15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If you've got an external water leak, my bet is on something else, like a core plug, not the head gasket.
    Clean everything up as best you can, the buy/borrow/rent a cooling system pressure tester. That's the best way to trace a leak.

16. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, a pressure testing first to see if you have a drop in pressure over a short period of time, and if that doesn't come up conclusive, drain the fluid out, pressurize again and listen for air escaping somewhere. If a head gasket between cylinders, sometimes you can hear the air, other times you have to remove sparkplugs and hold you fingers over the sparkplug holes to feel air pressure building between two cylinders. It's slow work for small leaks between cylinders, and open valves skew the results a little bit, but you usually hear those leaks.

17. Stephen

Stephen Active Member

Looks like my setup, a monster highroof and a mere Caravan.

18. Stephen

Stephen Active Member

A pic of the Dodge half of our fleet. Doesn't look as drastic a size difference as yours. I found an old Dodge with a roof like yours while returning from our eclipse trip in 2016. I'll see if I can find a pic.
    IMG_6838.JPG

Here you go. I think they wanted $3000 for this one. If I'd only known...
    huge Dodge.JPG
    IMG_1860.JPG

#78 Stephen, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  19. r0bin

r0bin Member

Hi guys, only just saw there more replies to the thread! Always nice to see some pictures.

Love the wraparound windows in the back. Also the ones in the front of the highroof on the other one are really cool. I think the perspective messes with the perceived size difference. Look at the rooflines.

I went to the technical check friday to get a list of things I have to adapt before I get a German registration. Bad timing thou, understaffed with people that can do that kind of examination. I'll have to get back next week, although it isn't super easy to get plates to go there. (kind of complicated here in Germany).

They told me to get as much info on the car as I can get. Yeah, not swimming in info right now :D The car was converted by MacDonald Conversion Industries in Coburg, Canada. Not much more that I could find out.

Have a nice rest of the weekend!

Robin

20. Stephen

Stephen Active Member

What info do they need? If you contact a Dodge dealer with your VIN you can get a printout with all the build specs on the base vehicle but there might be a cutoff year for that info. I know a guy with a '78 and he said the computer info did not go back that far, so you might face the same problem.

Here's the Options Report I got for my van, with stuff like engine, trans, brakes, fuel tank, suspension, etc.

FullSizeRender (70).jpg