AF: 1994 B350 for camper conversion? | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1994 B350 for camper conversion?

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Stephen, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Stephen

Stephen Well-Known Member

Got it out by the scraping method. Thanks for that tip. Saved me tool money to spend on other parts. Cylinder wall looks okay; it's hard to get a decent photo. I'm thinking that several passes with a ball hone might do. New piston, of course. Can't even find the ends of the two upper rings, they're so well obscured.
    IMG_8412.JPG IMG_8413.JPG

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

How did the bearings look?

Of course the piston needs replaced, that's a given.

If this were my van, after finding this, I would be replacing all the rings and rod bearings. One, it gives a peace of mind that the compression is good for all the cylinders, and two, any other non-visible problem, like stuck or broken rings will be corrected. I always see it as I've gone this far, why do the job halfway, or worse yet, have to start over anyway.

Over at Rockauto you can get rod bearings and rings to include shipping for less than a hundred bucks.

3. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

And here's a RockAuto discount code that should still work, courtesy of a member of PTCL:

[​IMG]

4. Stephen

Bearing looks okay to my untrained eye, as does the journal. I'll get a pic. You people are a bad influence. I really only want to do the one cylinder, and the big ends of #1 and #2 can barely be reached because of the front crossmember. Must be resolute in not letting scope creep intrude.

One of the benefits of doing a halfass job is, in my case, being willing to do it over with a short block down the road if this does not work.

Thank you for the code. It should come in handy.

#124 Stephen, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  5. Stephen

Well, I forgot to use the code for my Rock Auto order but I got the stuff by yesterday in four separate packages from four warehouses. Everything looks good, the pricing was reasonable, good selection on nearly every one of the items, and it all got here on or ahead of schedule. I also had to buy some tools in order to proceed, including a set of 1/2" drive ratchet extensions. I have no idea where the ones would have gone that used to live in any of the several toolboxes in the garage.
    IMG_8463.JPG

I pulled the rest of the pistons today. Really did not want to do so but the piston rings came in a full set so it would have been wasteful not to use them and by doing this I found a scuffed and beat #6 piston that I would have missed otherwise. Rod journals look good, as do the bearings. Second new piston on order so things can start going back together once the honing is done.
    IMG_8464.JPG

Since the van is too tall to fit into the garage, I'm working outside and I'm hoping to be done with the engine work before it gets too cold. Once it's running and driving I can move to the interior and fire up an oil-filled radiator, plugged into house power, to keep me warm in my "wheeled shed."

dana44 likes this.