AF: 1994 Plymouth Sundance/Dodge Shadow shifting problems | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1994 Plymouth Sundance/Dodge Shadow shifting problems

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by GarrettRomaine, Feb 21, 2019.

1. GarrettRomaine

GarrettRomaine New Member

I just bought a 1994 Plymouth Sundance duster with a 3.0 and a manual transmission. It shifts into 1-4 and reverse just fine but no 5th gear. The shifter will go into and stay in the 5th position but it won't engage at all, as if still in neutral. Has anybody dealt with this before or have any suggestions on where to start? I'm fine at working on cars but not the best at diagnosing. Thanks in advance!

2. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

From your description it seems that the 5th gear shift shaft does not engage / disengage the 5th gear assembly when the shaft moves laterally inside the transmission. So either the 5th gear shift fork is broken and lying in the bottom of the transmission or the shift fork has loosened and is no longer attached to the shift shaft.

Here is a link to a video that shows disassembly of a Chrysler 5 speed manual transmission A520 / A525 / A555 which is probably the unit in your vehicle. This transmission is removed but at the beginning of the video the inspection plate on the top and then the end cover on the transaxle are removed. See if you can remove those pieces with the transaxle in the vehicle. Then you can inspect and determine why the 5th gear will not engage.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qZkXYXMWno

chuzz likes this.
  3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

He will have the A-543 transmission in his car. Different shift pattern from the ones you mentioned.

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Good point. But it appears all of the Chrysler manual transmissions were similar internally with a few minor changes. So removing inspection covers and checking the 5th gear shift shaft would still be prudent. This Allpar link discusses manual transmissions and differences.

Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge Five Speed Transmissions (at https://www.allpar.com/eek/5spd.html )

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  5. Crazycanadian

Crazycanadian New Member

My opinion, if you can't fix it, send it to a tranny shop

6. GarrettRomaine

So I took off the cover only to find that there was no oil in the transmission and the actual 5th gear was completely sheared smooth.

7. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

The A543 is the same internally as the common A523 as used behind 4 cyl models from 1990 on.

There were a couple of different final drive ratios as indicated by the round trans ID tag.

I don't believe the different final drive ratios affected the 5th gear parts.

I believe 5th gear can be replaced without removing the trans, assuming the rest isnt burned up.

Have you driven it using the 1-4 gears??

Thanks
    Randy

8. GarrettRomaine

Yeah, 1-4 works fine. But I can't seem to find any website that sells the gear.

9. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's much chance of finding parts online.

These were the most common manual trans from 1990-95 with 2.2 or 2.5 Engines, N/A or Turbo

A parts wanted ad at Turbo Mopar or Turbo Dodge would probably scare up some used parts.

Marty Mopar here at Allpar might have something too.

Thanks
    Randy