Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1995 Dakota Blower Switch

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by 48jeep, Dec 19, 2017.

1. 48jeep

48jeep Member

My 95 Dakota only has low speed on the blower. I have changed the resistor under the hood,replaced fuses, and put replaced the electrical connector on the resistor.I am pretty sure the problem is the switch in the dash. First question is where is it located? Next is how much of job is it to replace? I have a 91 Dakota that is my parts supply now and I might rob the one from it.

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I would first jumper 12V to the blower to be sure it isn't binding and is capable of spinning faster, and has nothing caught in it.
    After that, the switch is in the climate control module in the dash. You have to remove the cover under the steering column, lower the steering column a little (with the brake set and the shifter in first gear for clearance), then remove the trim panel around the instrument cluster (8 torx screws). Be careful not to snap the trim panel, it has to be flexed a little to get it out. Then the climate control module is held in place with a couple of screws, and you undo the electrical connector and pull the vacuum harness off the back. Reverse the process to re-assemble.

3. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

And while you're in there - there's three #74 light bulbs in there; replace all three. (If you decide to go LED, get warm white, and install them with the face off and the unit reinstalled in the dash, before putting the cluster in, so you can plug the lights in right; they're polarized, and if plugged in backwards, won't light up.)

RwP

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  4. 48jeep

48jeep Member

I pulled the instrument panel and climate control module out of the 91. To be sure that I am talking about the right piece, the part I took out of the 91 had the electrical connector and the vacuum lines attached to it. However, I didn't see what looks like the electrical switch on that module. I have looked up the picture of the switch on the Rockauto website and it didn't look like there is a switch on that module. I will try the temporary 12 volt jumper on the 95 before I pull the module out.

5. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

The description name for the part at the RockAuto site is incorrect and misleading. It is NOT a blower motor control module / resistor but is just the resistor assembly. RockAuto does not have a parts listing for the blower switch. This is a picture of the blower motor switch. The same switch was used on all 1987 through 1996 model Dakota.

Blower Motor Switch.gif

The HVAC blower motor is ground side switched. Power originates through the ignition switch, through a fuse, onto the blower motor, into the resistor assembly inside the fresh air cowl plenum. Four wires exit the blower motor resistor and traverse into the HVAC blower motor switch. The horizontally activated switch provides the ground path for any one of the 4 paths from the resistor assembly. That gives 4 unique fan motor speeds. See attached schematic.

Blower Motor Wiring 2.gif

RalphP likes this.
  6. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

They may not have for 1994, but they do for 1988; see the link here:

1988 DODGE DAKOTA 3.9L 239cid V6 Blower Switch | RockAuto (at http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1988,dakota,3.9l+239cid+v6,1087365,electrical-switch+&+relay,blower+switch,4248 )

And, yes, it's the same switch.

RwP

7. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

I think you're talking about just swapping out this climate control module:

climate control module.jpg

8. 48jeep

48jeep Member

That is the module in the 95. The module in the 91 has a different fan speed control.

9. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

What is different about the blower fan speed control between 1991 and 1995? Both should have 5 positions: moving from left to right; OFF, Low, M1, M2, High. Post a picture of the module from the 1995 vehicle.

Incidentally I found a posting for the blower fan speed control at RockAuto for a 1995 Dakota. It is listed under Electrical-Switch-Relay. It is the same part number from various vendors for other model year Dakota vehicles.

1995 DODGE DAKOTA 3.9L V6 Blower Switch | RockAuto (at http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1995,dakota,3.9l+v6,1087624,electrical-switch+&+relay,blower+switch,4248 )

10. 48jeep

48jeep Member

The speed control on the 91 works in a vertical direction while the 95 works in horizontal direction. the 91 doesn't have a/c but I don't know if this accounts for the difference. The picture you posted is the one I have been looking at too. I just am not sure where the blower speed control is. I will try to post a picture of the 91 module I took out tomorrow.I haven't taken the module out of the 95 yet. I will have to have my granddaughter assist me.

11. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

OK. This explains the discrepancy and difference. If no A/C then the fan speed control is mounted so the lever works in a vertical motion. If the vehicle has A/C then the fan speed control moves in a horizontal motion. I confirmed this with an illustration in a 1991 Dakota service manual. But I am thinking that the actual blower control is the same for A/C and non A/C vehicles. The switch is just rotated 90 degrees. So there is no difference in the switch; it is just oriented in a different fashion.

The fan blower speed control switch has 5 spade terminals on it (3 wide, 2 narrow). Look for an electrical connector with 5 receptacles in a straight line.

12. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

The pick I posted is from a 92. I thought that since the 91 is the same generation, it would be the same.

13. 48jeep

48jeep Member

I found a female connector with correct terminals on the back of the 91 module but the switch is not part of that module.

14. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

That would be correct. The fan blower speed switch is replaceable as a separate item. Other than how it is oriented on the module it should install on the 1995 HVAC.

15. 48jeep

48jeep Member

I am just not sure where this fan blower speed switch is located. There is no part on the 91 module that resembles this switch. I wanted find out where it was on the 95 before I started working on the dash. I really haven't had time lately to get much further into this problem because of the holidays. Anyway I thank everyone for their help and wish a Merry Christmas to you.

16. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

The 1991, being heater-only, may have a totally different switch.

I'd pick up a HVAC control instead.

(That switch is INSIDE the unit; you won't see it until you partially disassemble it, alas.)

RwP

17. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

Later K cars used the same control.

18. 48jeep

48jeep Member

I finally found the switch inside the module on the 95 Dakota after I pulled the one out of the 91Dakota. The only problem is taking the module out of the 95's dash.I got as far as taking off the faceplate and removing the two mounting screws but I am having a hard time releasing the cable that controls the temperature as well as the electrical connector and vacuum connector. Does any one have any tips to do this? It looks like the module has to come completely out to access the switch.

19. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

The cable detaches from the temperature lever by prying carefully with a flat screwdriver or with needlenose pliers. Takes a little finesse.

20. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

It does.

It helps to have the factory service manual, which is available used on Ebay or new from Bishko (and Bishko resellers *ahem*RockAuto*ahem* )

Here is how to remove/replace the temperature control cable; the salient point is it also shows how the control unit comes out and goes back in.

RwP

Attached Files: