Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1995 Ram 1500 Laramie with 318 engine and 46rh transmission

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by chuckg7442, Oct 5, 2017.

1. chuckg7442

chuckg7442 New Member

The transmission, which is notorious, had a trouble shifting gears, then while driving up hill lost all motion. No forward, no reverse. I don't remember the fluid level, but have since pulled the engine and transmission. Not sure what the issue is, although I figured I had to have blown something inside the transmission since I got no motion in forward and reverse. The engine and transmission are high mileage, at 236k when parked. Since the body is in great condition, I plan on rebuilding. I'm hoping to be able to pick brains and see if I can figure out what happened and if what I've done to find a smoking gun has been right. I tested the torque converter by rotating the stater and feel resistance, I haven't found broken pieces, the fluid doesn't smell burnt. I appreciate any guidance offered. I can also post pictures to the thread for visuals too.

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It's a little hard to diagnose the exact fault now. Could have been as simple as low fluid or a restricted filter.

I've had these transmissions last well over 200k miles, still as strong as new.

3. chuckg7442

chuckg7442 New Member

I'm starting to think it's a combination of overzealous ambition and lack of knowledge on my part. Now that I have it apart, I might as well rebuild them. I intend to replace the torque converter, read that flushing may not be reliable. The O.D. spins freely when turning by hand, the transfer case does the same. The parts look in decent shape, some wear, but 236k, should be expected, right? I haven't looked into the valve body itself. I do remember hearing a whirling noise when I pressed the accelerator. I wouldn't call it mild grinding, but it was noticeable. I do remember a couple months before this incident, that there was power issues. Had trouble getting to 45 mph. I heard a popping noise and after that everything seemed fine. Ran for a couple months before this issue. I can't complain, the only thing I had to do was spark plugs, EGR valve and basic maintenance. Thank you for responding.