AF: 1998 Plymouth grand voyger | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1998 Plymouth grand voyger

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Connie, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Connie

Connie Member

My mini van ignition switch would chime if I left my key in ignition. Now it does not. This happened after bench testing my alternator and replacing my battery .. the garage that did the work is thinking that the alarm got turned off and now needs to be turned back on.
    the headlight alarm works.
    Can someone please give me your input so this can be resolved. Thanks Connie

2. Stephen

Stephen Active Member

3. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Try jiggling the ignition key and pushing inward on the key in the lock mechanism. That may cause the chime to sound with the door open. Since the chime sounds with headlamps turned on and door open, the chime did NOT get turned off. The BCM (body control module) controls the chime for all features which enable the chime.

When the key is inserted in the key lock, the tip of the key pushes on an actuator rod within the lock housing under the instrument panel. This rod mates with the actual electrical ignition switch and closes 2 small contact strips that signal the BCM that key is in ignition. So there is a problem with the small contacts inside the ignition switch or the key-in-lock sense wire between the ignition switch and the BCM.

These are 3 photos that show a typical Chrysler ignition switch. This particular switch is from a late model Jeep Patriot so it is not exactly like the switch in your minivan but the key-in-switch sensor contacts would be very similar.

To fix this you would have to remove the ignition lock, lock extension actuator and ignition switch. Open the ignition switch and check the contacts. Or you could just replace the switch. Only you can decide if it is worth the effort.

Ignition Switch Actuator Extension 01X.gif Ignition Switch Actuator Side X.gif Ignition Switch Embedded Resistors XX.gif