AF: 1998 ram 1500 brake upgrade | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1998 ram 1500 brake upgrade

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by Ernest Dvorak, Oct 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

I have a set of disk brakes off of an 05 1500 that I plan on putting on the rear of my 98 1500. I would like to upgrade the front as well. Will the steering knuckle from a 05 fit on a 98? I have a set of 17 inch rims so that is not going to be a problem. I haul a lot and pull trailers through the mountains and the standard brakes are not working out. Like I said I have the rear disk set up just need to upgrade the front. Also need to know if I need to change master cylinder and p-valve because the 98 originally had drums on the rear.

2. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Simple answer..
    -dont put discs at rear, rear doesent do much braking anyway. Just make sure they work as intended.
    - up front make sure you have qulity pads and rotors

3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Years ago when I still had my '92 Acclaim (disc front, drum rear) I thought I needed new brakes. Took it to my buddy's shop. Told me the pads were fine - still plenty of pad material, but the rear brakes were out of adjustment. After he adjusted them I darn near went through the windshield Rear brakes may only be 20% of the total braking power, but they do make a difference.

4. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

Brakes are fine went through them from one end to the other. Weak brakes are a common issue with these trucks. I live in the mountains and haul a lot of scrap metal, the truck barely stops itself much less heavy loads. I have new brakes all around including new calipers and wheel cylinders nothing helps this issue. I have been told that I can change out the calipers with 3/4 ton calipers and rear wheel cylinders as well, but not sure if it will work. I have spent a small fortune on ceramic brake pads and slotted rotors with no noticible change in function. Need good info on brake upgrades not just but new pads on, sorry been there done that.

5. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

Have already gone through brakes, new ceramic pads, slotted rotors, new calipers, new rear wheel cylinders and new shoes. These trucks are famous for having week brakes. Need good info on upgrade not just change your brake pads been there and done that. Dodge themselves recognized the problem with the poor braking power on these trucks and has made several upgrades over the years. I need good info on brake upgrade before i end up at the bottom of some cliff or run over some mother and her children down these mountain roads.

6. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Try to find bigger front brakes, larger rotors.

7. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

Thats is what I am asking about. What brakes will fit? Will the steering knuckle from a 2005 work on a 1998? Need actual information, not vague sugestions. To my knowledge there are no bigger brakes that were available on a 1998 1500 will 3/4 ton brakes mount up? Need good information, not vague sugestions, have obviously thought about bigger rotors just need to know what will fit.

8. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

I looked up 2 wheel drive and spindle is 1994-1999. Does not say what changed.

9. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Aftermarket.

10. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Some Ram forums say that LD 2500 caliper 93-95 will fit. Says to use same pad. Bore of 2500 LD is 5mm bigger on caliper than 1500. Have to put them side by side to verify

11. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

Nothing changed between those years, they all had 11.5 inch rotors. The front and rear rotors of a 2005 are 13.89 inches. I have the rear rotor set up for 2005 and 17 inch rims. What I need to know is will 2005 steering knuckles fit on a 1998, and if so do I also need to know is do I need to change master cylinder and p-valve as 1998 has drums in rear.

12. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

I have heard this as well, also rear brake cylinders are larger also. I have considered this change as both calipers and rear brake cylinders would provide greater clamping force, however I have problems with brake fade due to overheating. I think I need larger rotors to disipate heat. The main thing I have been trying to ask is whether or not 2005 steering knuckles will fit so I can go from 11.5 inch rotors to 13.89 inch rotors.

13. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

Again you are not reading my post and only offering vague comments. I have gone to aftermarket sloted rotors and ceramic pads with no change in performance. While aftermarket sites also offer dual piston calipers they do not offer larger rotors. The dual piston rotors will increase clamping force, but do nothing for the brake fade from overheating. Now to the question I posed and the only question I really want answered. I have 2005 rear brake rotor setup, i need to upgrade front brakes as well. The 2005 has 13.89 inch rotors vs 11.5 inch on the 1998 and drum rear brakes. I asked if 2005 steering knuckles will fit on a 1998 so that I can put the 13.89 inch rotors on both front and rear. This is my question, believe me I have looked at every other option.

14. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Short story is the 2000-01 1500 series knuckles will fit but, I believe such a swap will entail using same era upper/lower control arms. The big advantage will be dual piston calipers, slide off rotors, and probably larger rotors, etc. As for 2002+ 1500 Rams; different animal

15. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

It isnt likely that the 2005 knuckles will fit correctly, they may bolt in but you now have a messed up front end geometry.
    Rear brakes doesent do much of the braking and its really dengerous to increase it since itll make you skid when they lock up, there is a reason for the brake proportioning from the manufacturer.
    Im more cocenerd About how you use your truck, ram´s from that era doesent have notoriusly bad brakes and if they had aftermarket would be full of kits to fix that.
    - if you really whant a ram that is a sportscar, get a 2500 srt-10.
    - or a Dakota 1997-2003 and mount viper brakes on it, they fit directly..

16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Honestly it sounds like you need 2500 brakes, on a 2500 truck.
    I had a 1999 Ram 1500 when they were new and towed several full size cars, both flat-owing and on a trailer without trailer brakes (stupid, I know). I towed cars in the mountains of West Virginia and across the Continental Divide. The brakes did their job.

If the 1500's brakes aren't up to he task, that probably isn't the only thing.

#16 valiant67, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Doug D likes this.
  17. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

18. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

Thanks I will look into it

19. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

Thank's for the help I will look into it

20. Ernest Dvorak