AF: 1998 ram 1500 brake upgrade | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1998 ram 1500 brake upgrade

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by Ernest Dvorak, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

Not useing the Truck as a sports car I am hauling scap metal through mountain roads. I was not just going to put the rear brakes on without upgrading the front. You are mistaken about the weak brakes on that era of truck, they do have small 11.5 inch front rotors compared to the 13.89 inch front and rear rotors on later pickups. Dodge would not have made such a radical change if there was not a problem. My biggest problem is brake fade due to the small diameter rotors. I pull loads over steep mountain roads and need better brakes. My orginal question, which people seem to be ignoring for some reason is can I use 2005 steering knuckles on a 1998. I want to upgrade the front brakes to larger rotor like the 13.89 inch rotors on later trucks.

2. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

Have after market rotor and pads on the front, no help. I also tow heavy loads on a trailer with no trailer brakes. Looking into getting brakes on the trailer but running into the same thing that I am running into on this page. People are just telling me to put new brake pads on the truck. Been there done that. I also have a lot of people that say buy a new truck or buy a new trailor. I don't have money to do either. These forums seem to not offer any real information. I guess I will just have to do it on my own.

3. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

I Think you´ve just answered yourself.
    - a trailer without brakes and with a Heavy load aint anything dodge had designed for.
    Trailer brakes would solve your problems.

page2171 likes this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Since you have found no information on the front conversion, that means it probably isn't a practical conversion.

Just because you can't afford a heavier truck or a properly equipped trailer doesn't negate that those are the best options.

page2171 and Doug D like this.
  5. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

I would think that trailer brakes would be the best AND cheapest option.

page2171 likes this.
  6. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

Now left with the problem of brake fade that still exist with load in bed of truck and dealing with people telling me to buy a new trailer. No help at all on forums anymore, no real solutions. Trailor has no brakes and no one has good solution to that other than buy new trailer. Many, many trailers do not have brakes and are used to haul loads every day. A truck should be able to stop a loaded trailor, this one will not even stop a load in the bed itself without experiencing brake fade. I have come to the conclusion that I will just make my own bracket to hold calipers on the front and run 2005 brakes on the front. You know there must be a good reason that Dodge increased the rotor size from 11.5 inches to 13.89 inches. I know the reason, brake fade.

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Is the trailer a single axle or double axle? In Virginia I believe double axle trailers are required to have brakes and required to pass the annual safety inspection while single axle trailers are not required to have brakes nor do they need to be inspected.

Yes, Dodge went to a larger rotor size to enhance and provide better brake performance but I don't necessarily agree that it was for brake fade.

I know you don't want to hear this, but IMHO you are asking a 1500 to do the work of a 2500 truck. Yes, light duty trucks can do a lot, but there are limits. You might be better off in the long run to get a HD (2500 or better) truck. Just sayin'. It might actually be cheaper to upgrade to a 2500 than to try to better the brake performance of your existing truck. I'm not advocating a "new" truck (God knows they are expensive - too much for my blood), but maybe a 5-10 year old HD truck in decent condition would be a better option. Your choice.

Good luck in your quest.

8. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Or cheaper yet. Get a new axle with brakes for the trailer. They are less than any other upgrades.

9. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Or drive slower.

10. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

I drove Mr. Washington with my 08 1500 and rarely used the brakes coming down. Gear control worked quite well. Going up, I passed multiple vehicles that had really hot brakes from not using proper gears. This happened on a 18,651 3.5 month trip pulling a 4800 lb. Trailer all across the nation. Not once did I ever feel that brakes were stressed. It did have electric trailer brakes that did work.

11. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

12. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

08's have bigger brakes than a 98, and gear control is easy with a manual, but not so easy with an automatic. The 46re transmissions are weak and you don't realy want to put that much stress on them.

13. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

If you have not noticed from my post I drive a 1998 pickup. I simply cannot afford dropping that kind of cash on a new truck. Also I have never had any trouble pulling a load with my truck or loading the bed full of material. I have rarely if ever overloaded my truck or exceeded its pulling capacity. The problem has always been brake fade, and as I said in an earlier post I will simply solve the problem by making my own brackets out of some 1/2 inch plate to mount the larger brake calibers. The replies to my post on this sight for the most part have been useless. It is easy to just tell someone to buy new equipment, but if that person does not have the means to so it is a moot point. There is a reason I drive a 20 year old truck, I simply cannot afford to buy a new one.

14. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

New axles are not cheaper if you already have all of the parts for the truck brake upgrade already. Seriously you guys need to read my post before you reply. Also I already said I will simply make the brackets for the larger brakes myself. Honestly the only real question I asked was if the 05 parts would work before I tore down both trucks. I guess no one actually works on anything themselves anymore. It is so sad how ignorant and helpless people have become. I actually thought someone out there might actually have a little knowledge about things, I was proven wrong again and again.

15. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

In today's litigious society, any modifications not approved by a certified/deeply insured manufacturer is frowned on. Such modification as you have proposed will void any manufacturers warranty AND probably any insurance coverage by your insurer. That would probably happen only if the accident was more than just a fender bender. I have found used mobile home/RV trailer axles w/brakes quite reasonable and width can be changed without losing a very ample capacity or raising eyebrows. Since no one had help for you using what you wished, alternatives were placed out for you to see.

16. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I never said a "new" truck. Go reread my post:

Before you accuse posters of not reading, maybe you should make sure you read everything as well.

I suspect there were significant design changes between '98 and 2005 such that no one else found it worth installing '05 brakes on a '98 truck.

As I said before, good luck in your quest.

page2171 likes this.
  17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Wow, you asked a question. It was clear no one has personally made the modification you proposed so now you accuse people of not working on their cars? Seriously? Just because no one made the modification you've proposed?
    I even Googled this and found nothing mentioned but "better" pads and rotors as upgrades for a 1999 1500. How that makes those of us trying to help you "ignorant" I don't know. And again, your lack of financial resources is no excuse for not having a properly equipped truck and trailer.

page2171 likes this.
  18. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

Triggered much? I asked a specific question which if you could not answer it you should not try to offer advice on things that I had not asked about. My financial situation is no concern of yours either. I asked a specific question not for anyones opinions. If you can't answer the question keep your comments to yourself.

19. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

20. Ernest Dvorak

Ernest Dvorak New Member

Wow, really, people are so afraid to make simple modifications. Do you really think I have a manufactures warranty on a 1998 pickup. Are you the one that keeps calling me and telling me my car warranty has expired lol. I only posted on here to see if anyone had done this mod before. I did not ask for any other advice. I asked a specific question and only wanted answers to that question. There were a few helpful people that posted about things that I had considered. These people a least were helpful, but anything outside of actual brake modifications was unwanted information and not helpful. I have already decided on a course of action I will make the brackets myself for the front brakes. I am more than capable of solving this issue myself. By the why I have owned and pulled many trailers in my day and none of them ever had brakes. You don't need trailer brakes if your truck has good brakes and you are not over loaded. I swear people today can't do anything for themselves anymore, they just buy new crap. It is so sad people have no skills.