AF: 1998 random shut down and missfire caused by the distributor hall effect plate | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1998 random shut down and missfire caused by the distributor hall effect plate

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by bluedragon, Jan 1, 2015.

1. bluedragon

bluedragon Member

This plate in the distributor has come loose and will cause a shut down and random hard starts erratic idle all sorts of problems that made me believe that it was the coil pac, cam sensor or the crank pos sensor, or the ecu. so before you waste your time and hard earned money check to see if the hall effect plate is loose under the cam pick up coil in the distributor there is a video on youtube that refers to this problem i found to better explain this common problem with the hall effect distributor thank you all hope this helps

2. Craig Bernhardt

Craig Bernhardt New Member

I have a 1997 Dakota with a 5.2 L v8 and same location for the distributor. Thanks for the video, will keep it in mind when my truck acts whack-a-doo

3. tazdevil

tazdevil Member

Looks like your next job is to reset the air gap. Use a non metallic feeler exclusively.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

There is no air gap to be set - no adjustment.

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter