Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1999 Chevy K-1500 Switch?

Discussion in 'Non-Mopar Tech Support' started by chuzz, Sep 18, 2015.

1. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I got a new buddy here that has the above mentioned vehicle and he's got a wonky fuel gauge. He told me he had the entire fuel pump assembly replaced about 8 months ago and now sometimes the fuel gauge works and sometimes it doesn't. He called a shop and the guy told him they'd have to drop the tank, blah, blah and I told him that was crazy, because if it were mine, I'd remove the 8 bolts holding the bed on and two wiring harnesses for the lights and take the bed off. He thought that was a great idea. Well, he was in the truck this evening and told me that 85% of the time the gauge works and then it doesn't. I told him it sounded more electrical to me than anything. He fired the truck up, and sure enough, it was on E, even though he'd filled it up an hour before we met him and his wife for dinner and had 6 miles on the tank. He pulled in into R and it didn't move the gauge, then he put it in D and the gauge bounced 4 times and hit F. I asked him to turn it off and wait five minutes and then start it again. He did and it was back on E. I asked him to jiggle the key and see what happened. It is obviously loose and when he jiggled it the gauge shot up to F. So, I suggested he call a GM dealer and give them his VIN# and see if it's on the recall list. If not, he should get a new one from the local parts store of his choice and replace it. Am I right in thinking it could be the ignition switch causing the problem, or should we look elsewhere. Thanks for reading this long post and giving your opinions.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

If the ignition switch is that loose, you may be on the right track. I'm certain replacing that switch will be far cheaper and replacing the fuel pump or whatever in the tank.

3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, Doug. I really don't think it's a float problem. I'm not an ASE mechanic, nor am I an electrician, but I've been messing with cars for 45 years. And that sure sounds more like an electrical thing to me. But, what do I know, right? LOL

4. NYBo

Level III Supporter

If it was the ignition switch, I would think other things wouldn't be working, not just the fuel gauge.

5. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Well, to be honest with you, he's never mentioned anything else not working, but he's the kind of person that just notices one thing at a time. He's a retired cop and doesn't know anything about mechanics. Good dude, but just not car savvy at all.

6. NYBo

Level III Supporter

Maybe the shifter mechanism is jiggling a wire.

7. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

FWIW, k have seen a bunch of Generic Motors vehicles with wonky fuel gauges that were the gauge in the cluster itself.

8. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

My future son in law has one now.

9. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I'll relay that to him the next time I talk to him, PCRMike. He's suffering with TMJ in both jaws right now and is on some heavy duty pain meds. He's not much up for talking on the phone or meeting somewhere for a burger!