AF: 1999 chrysler lhs electrical issue | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1999 chrysler lhs electrical issue

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by Toddbone, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Toddbone

Toddbone New Member

My daughter's lhs occasionally has a dead battery. I jump it and battery charges right up. Alternator is good. Battery holds charge. She does notice that the dome lights flicker and turn on for no reason when driving. Could the headlight/dimmer switch be shorting out draining the battery? Unable to find a new switch as they stopped making them in 2015.

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I'd be looking at a door switch as a more likely cause than the headlight switch for the dome lamp flicker.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  3. Toddbone

Toddbone New Member

4. Toddbone

Toddbone New Member

I'll check that out, thanks Mr Valiant67.

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I believe that the door switches are adjustable. Extend out the plunger stem and gently close the door on it to reset the height.

valiant67 likes this.
  6. Toddbone

Toddbone New Member

Where exactly is the door switch on a 1999 Chrysler lhs? Is that the flat rod that is between the hinges thatthat retracts into the door?

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I was mistaken about the switches. From '98-on, the LH-body door ajar switch is part of the door latch. Are all the doors closing properly and flush with no distorting collision damage?
    You might try pushing or pulling on each of the closed doors to see if the interior lamps react to a slight in/out movement?
    You also mentioned the headlamp switch as a suspect. Does playing around or tapping on it cause the interior lamps to react?
    If it only occurs while driving, do bumps, turns or temperature affect when it does it?

8. Toddbone

Toddbone New Member

I checked the wiring inside the rubber boots and found no shorting wires, tapped on the headlight/dimmer switch and the lights didn't flicker. I adjusted the door latches and made each door flush with the body panels. Also double checked the battery terminal cables and found the negative terminal loosen when I tugged on it. Went thru the whole ordeal of removing the battery to access both terminals. Cleaned everything up and pounded down connectors tight on terminals and snugged bolts tight and sprayed them with the red stuff. We'll see what happens.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  9. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

I randomly notice this in my 99 too, it's never drained the battery. I know it's not a door ajar or the door switch (since the EVIC would tell me). If you ever figure it out, let us know. I've replaced the headlight switch, didn't fix it (sure, possibly the replacement is bad too?)

10. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Not having a later model door latch handy to examine, I will throw this out. I have fixed a few later Ford products with a similar issue on them the Door Ajar switch is a plunger style activated by the latch pushing it in to turn on the door ajar and courtesy lights. They get sticky and stay in the "on" position.