Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1999 ram 1500 van

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Devildodge, May 19, 2016.

1. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Looking at buying a ram van. Been in the market awhile and have watched this one for 2 months. He lowered the price today, so I went to look at it. Runs and drives great, stops fine. Body is in good shape two rust spots above ground effects on driver rear. Interior will clean up nice.

He said he will take 1300, I said sold,and then thought hey they say to check the frame.

I look at the rear spring hangers, perfect look all up both sides of body perfect. Heard some horror stories about the stearing box mount...perfect, still has the original paint with no flaking on the front frame.

Go to the other side, frame rail looks perfect still got the paint. Then I see a Lil rust under the splash guard/inner fender where it is mounted up by the bumper. Push on it and it is soft. He says go ahead pull the splash guard I never noticed that.
    Pull the splash guard and a 3 inch oval pushes in. Weld is still good. It appears to be a support out to the bumper. I can touch the actual frame it is welded to and it is solid.
    So now to my question. Is this just a bumper mount and it will be okay to plate, or should I walk away?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

If the frame is good in the areas you mentioned, it sounds like it is still a solid vehicle.
    As long as the rust damage isn't structural, you should have some good years left with it.

3. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Well I went all in and bought it. Got to do some work for inspection and then I hope it gives me a few years to enjoy it. Already very sad they don't make that style van anymore

4. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Got some time in the seat of the van. Had to purchase a new battery. Van runs well. Does the speed limit just fine, we will leave performance at that. Didn't get a chance to fill up the tank so haven't started to check on fuel mileage.

Needs a thorough cleaning. Have to replace windshield and do that one section of repair.

Van seems to have been maroon, but the clear has faded and it now looks pink.

Debating between painting it a deep red or a shade of orange.

It is real comfortable and smooth ride. So much better than the heavy duty trucks my butt has called home in for the last 15 years.

Can't wait to get a trip in with it.

5. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Anyone who has one, any tips on the sagging rear seat/bed.

It has a definite bow in the seat, sinks toward the middle.

Thanks for any thoughts.

6. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Over 293 miles the van averaged 15.293. Pleased with that, as I live in the mountains of Central Pennsylvania, it was more than epa rated. Got to do some cleaning still. Need to pull a few dents and need to decide on tires.

7. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Took the running boards/fendeflares off. Not sure yet if I am going to keep the step after u remove the remaining plastic or remove it too.

They caused the only rust on the whole van.

Attached Files:

8. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Completly took the running boards off. Van looks much better to me now. It has a lot more ground clearance than I thought.
    Been averaging 15 mpg every fill up so that is 5 miles per gallon more than my truck. Still need to get it cleaned up and am now planning on painting it gun metal gray or a metallic gray or silver.

9. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Seems like you got a good deal on a solid vehicle. I agree with taking all the crap off. That stuff just creates more areas for water and other stuff to collect. Especially living in PA, where I'm guessing they use quite a bit of salt in the winter.

10. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

The fender flares have the paint rubbed off at the lip of the fender well. I got some stuff to try to bring the shine back out. Did half the hood and driver fender. Looks much better. Did a wheel and it looks great. Still need to get the interior cleaned up. Got to decide what route I am going with it and get it ready for inspection. If the darn windshield didn't have a Crack in it I believe it would pass no problem, but there are a few things I want to tweak before I take it in.

11. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

12. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Got the whole van to shine again. Someone decided to egg my back doors...:eek:. Put 378 miles on it in mixed God's country driving....got 15.357 mpg. Took the family on a mini roadtrip, van was great. Gonna see if I can find some odds and ends stuff at mopar heaven at Carlisle.

13. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Haven't done much with the van. I really need to get a windshield patch the issue on the front and get it inspected.

I got a month til Carlisle, but I am sure life won't let me get it ready to take there.