Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st and 2nd gen Front Wheel Bearings

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by codypet, Nov 29, 2017.

1. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I'm getting a bad whirr noise from the front end while I'm driving and the whole assembly moves when I move the tires at the 12 and 6 o'clock direction. The whole brake rotor, pads, and wheel move together so I'm assuming its a bad front wheel bearing. To my knowledge, the front are original. My cousin who's worked on these told me that the whole steering knuckle needs to be removed and pressed out. The parts I'm finding at parts stores appear to be the bearing and hub assembly and you just pull it all out of the knuckle. The tutorials I find online are '96 and newer which allowed you to remove the hub and replace it. Does anyone know if you can do the same with the older ones? I'm assuming they're going to be stuck on pretty good after all those years, but if its possible to remove it without taking off the steering knuckle and pressing the whole thing, I'd like to try that.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

On the older FWD vehicles, unless you have the special tools to press the bearing out and in with the knuckle on the vehicle,
    the knuckle has to be removed and placed in a press for front wheel bearing replacement.
    0996b43f8022f7ba.gif
    It is a good idea to check the front end alignment afterwards.

3. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

On the second generation minivan 1991 ~ 1995 the hub assembly bolts on to the knuckle. I have a 1992 Plymouth Grand Voyager and I have replaced both front wheel hub assemblies.

And 1st generation minivans 1984 ~ 1990 I think IC is correct that the bearings are pressed into the knuckle.

4. codypet

Ok. Interesting. I was wondering why the book told me I needed to press the bearing and the auto parts stores were trying to give me the whole thing packaged together.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Go by the service manual.
    Your minivan may be older than the kids at the parts counter. :D
    Note that a 'sawtooth' tire tread type wear (cupping) can also sound like a wheel bearing growl while driving.
    Deflecting the steering wheel left or right slightly can change the noise. Pitch will vary with speed.

6. codypet

Steering definitely changes the noise. I'll jack it up this weekend and take off the tires and inspect. I'll bike to work tomorrow.

7. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

Try rotating the tires front to rear. to see if there is any change.

8. codypet

So I had time today to investigate. The driver side is completely tight not an issue at all. The passenger side however is tight at the inner tie rod and throughout the knuckle but the assembly itself for the wheel bearing appears to be loose. It's not very drastic at the wheel bearing but once you put the tire on it's very loose. I think it's related to a deformed tire that I had had on the car a couple of months ago and the tire people replace the tire and I asked them if the wobbling was an issue and they said it was associated with the tire. I suspect that the deformed Tire actually contributed to the damage of the wheel bearing and now it's really getting bad. The link is below is a video of what the wheel bearing looks like. It still seems to me that it can be pulled out as one whole assembly.

View: https://youtu.be/9IyH5oikAlw

9. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Tightness or looseness of a wheel bearing is not a good indicator of which one is noisy. Sometimes the tight ones are the noisy ones.
    The bearing has to be turning. A 'roughness' or vibration may be heard or felt in the spindle of the failing wheel bearing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hId3Dx2H_4

If you you do raise the vehicle on jack stands to run the front wheels, keep the wheels straight. Make sure that the ground is stable and the vehicle is secure on the stands if you run it in gear.

10. codypet

There is so much movement on that passenger side when the wheel is on I think it'd have to be that. I'll find out more when I visit my cousins on the 16th since he has a full lift. Being front wheel drive this is going to work the same way right? With one tire down on the ground, the free wheel would just roll.

11. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

It will have to be in Neutral, not Park in order to freewheel one wheel while the other is on the ground.
    You will want to set the parking brake and/or chock the rear wheels for safety.

12. codypet

You're right. I was thinking more if I were to do it in drive like the guys in the video were showing. Putting it on the lift and throwing it in neutral seems safer and makes more sense.

13. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

There have been times that I haven't been able to spin the wheel fast enough by hand. You can have both front wheels off the ground (all 4 wheels off the ground for AWD/4WD vehicles), start the vehicle and put it drive to bring the wheel speed up in order to listen for a growling bearing.
    It is best to have a helper in the drivers seat for this. Make sure that the vehicle is stable on the jack stands and on firm ground for safety.
    Or use the lift.

14. codypet

This was the best I could get today when I had a spare 5 mins to jack it up and roll it. It sounds like a rollercoaster full of people from a distance.

View: https://youtu.be/_yOTfUU3zwU