Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.0 sohc head question

Discussion in 'Neon' started by Budman 11, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Budman 11

Budman 11 Member

Will a 2005 2.0 sohc head work on a 1998 2.0 sohc engine? It will be on a dirt track, wanting to do away with EGR system.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Not a direct interchange. There were engine changes between the 1st and 2nd generation Neons. I use the Mopar reman catalog for part interchange info. It doesn't tell me what is different, just that they are different enough not to share a common part number. See p. 135 here:
    http://www.schematicsforfree.com/ar...ntenance/2009-10 Mopar Manufactured Parts.pdf

If it is strictly off-road, why not just disable the EGR? Beware of pre-ignition/pinging issues under load without the EGR. High Octane fuel may help with this.

The 1st gen Neon had more tricks available to it than the 2nd gen. The 1995 cam was supposed to be hotter and I put the '95 head on my '96 along with a stick-shift, 2 1/2" exhaust and the Mopar Performance racing PCM.

Some tricks can be applied to the 2nd gen. Good reading and info:
    Mopar Performance Neon Modifications (at http://www.manciniracing.com/mopenemobo.html )
    Also:
    High Performance Dodge Neon Builder's Handbook (at https://www.cartechbooks.com/high-performance-dodge-neon-builder-s-handbook.html )

3. Budman 11

Budman 11 Member

Thanks for the response, yes one difference is they done away with the EGR "crap" in the head. Was wondering if everything else is the same.
    I have a head from a 2005, I'd like to get valve job etc. done while I get everything else ready. Yes only the race blue or purple fuel for me.
    Looks like I've got more studyin to do. thanks again

ImperialCrown likes this.
  4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Above and beyond all that, a simple block-off plate or tapping and plugging the port for racing can fix the issue, too. If you want to go even further, TIG aluminum into the port holes to fill them for greater flow. The ports are of such a shape and enough material, you can make wonderful D ports out of them for even greater exhaust flow, flat curve on the bottom side and exhaust tube headers to fit the shape and increase that flow/scavenging. Most of that depends on what your race application allows for class.

5. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Curious if you considered the SOHC Magnum R/T head??

I've read they fit and are a considerable upgrade.

Thanks
    Randy

ImperialCrown likes this.
  6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

There is a good HP bump from the entire R/T package. The engine code for the 2.0L R/T (VIN: F) is ECH, the standard 2.0L (VIN: C) is ECB.
    The R/T has special manifolds, pistons and PCM software. It likely still has EGR.
    For the full R/T upgrade, you would want a whole used engine and PCM. This is likely the only way a salvage yard would want to sell it to you, not just to pull and sell the cylinder head off it.
    Something else to consider anyways. :)

GLHS60 likes this.