AF: 2.7 questions/suggestions | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.7 questions/suggestions

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by Bob K, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Bob K

Bob K New Member

Hi all, Im new here and hoping someone can help me out. I have a 2007 300 with the apparently dreaded 2.7. It’s been in the family since bought, and has been very well maintained. I recently noticed a noise which sounded like valve train to me and was suggested that it could be timing chain. Having 110,000 miles, I decided to tear it down and replace chain, water pump, tensioner etc before it causes damage. After pulling manifold and timing cover, valve covers etc, I need some advice. The upper end is very clean with no sludge at all which I suspected. Is there a way to check timing chain for wear? I will replace it anyway, but would like to know if that actually is the noise I’m hearing before I put it back together. Also, is there a brand that is preferable( other than factory parts) that I would be ok with? I’ve hear that the Cloyes set is pretty good. How about water pump? I’m have more time than $ at the moment and feel comfortable doing the job, just would like some help/ opinions from some who have ‘been there’
    Thanks in advance, Bob K

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. The t/chain is hardened steel and wasn't really a wear issue. The chain guides and water pump were what wore the most.
    The 2.7L was a pretty good engine after 2002-2003 after some refinements.
    What kind of valvetrain noise? Ticking? The cams, rockers and lifters were fairly durable on these.

3. Bob K

Bob K New Member

Thanks for the reply! The noise is hard to explain but it sounds like upper engine. I changed the brakes and rotors last week and went for a ride to seat pads, stopped at pharmacy drive thru and heard the noise. Drove home and parked it after visually looking for bad idler pulley or belt issues. Couple days later, started it and didn’t hear it, revved it after a few and could hear it making the noise which a friend said sounded like sloppy chain to him. Is there a way to check the wear items you mentioned? I don’t mind replacing whatever but don’t want to have to take it apart again if I didn’t get the right thing. The car has been very good to us and I maintain it regularly. Thanks for the help!

4. Bob K

Bob K New Member

I guess if I had to describe it I would say it’s a rattling noise?

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Is the chain tight against the guides on the 'slack' side?
    There is a hydraulic tensioner on the passenger side of the timing cover that pumps the guide up against the chain. A special tool is used to bleed it down and reset the tension.
    If you don't already have a factory service manual, find one.

6. Bob K

Bob K New Member

I’ll check it out tomorrow, thanks for the ideas

7. Bob K

Bob K New Member

Happy Easter All!
    I took a look at the chain today. I don’t really see any slack. I can deflect it some , and I can push the tensioner back with some pressure.
    The tensioner looks to have about a 3/16 ‘clean band’ like it hasn’t been extended that long. The rest is browned, but I don’t know if that’s just how far it’s been extended or if that clean spot is from further extending recently? The guide on the passenger side moves in and out some, maybe 1/8”, but it may be by design because it looks like it has to pivot. Admittedly, I don’t know much about this engine design, I do have an auto parts store Haynes manual, but it doesn’t really tell me a lot.

8. Bob K

Bob K New Member

Seems like factory service manual is going to be a pdf download, I hate that! I’m old, I like old ways!!
    If I decide to replace the chain and pump etc, is there a brand that is better than others? It looks like the set from mopar is discontinued, probably have to piecemeal parts from them. I’d like to buy a matching set somewhere if possible so I know parts will work together. I still would probably buy oem water pump, I’m reading that castings may differ from various vendors causing issues? Do the chains on the cams usually get changed at the same time?

9. Bob K

Bob K New Member

Many thanks to Imperial crown for the tips. I’ll keep looking for more info elsewhere, gotta get er done