Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2000 Caravan Vent Window Pin

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by ryanov, Nov 25, 2017.

1. ryanov

ryanov Active Member

I know this is a crafty bunch. Anyone know how to get one of those rear vent window cotter pins -- the thing that keeps the vent motor arm secured to the ball joint that's on the vent window itself/keeps it from pulling out? One of mine broke, and then I lost the part of it that remained. I can't seem to find it on a parts list of anything.

Thanks for any tips you can provide, including anything you might have tried to fashion a replacement. :-D

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

3. ryanov

ryanov Active Member

I see people referring to these as roll pins. When I search for roll pins, I see cylindrical things with a notch cut in the side, basically. Are there multiple types?

My biggest difficulty here is that it seems that many hardware stores no longer carry big bins of parts to leaf through. I'm also a little reluctant to pull the other one to check sizing. So if anyone knows anything about the size, that would be the help (though I remember what it looks like.

Thanks for that parts guide!

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Roll pins can also be called tension pins. They keep an outward pressure to stay in place and not slip out of their hole. You don't want to tap them in with a hammer, but rather squeeze them in to place with channel locks or a c-clamp type tool. Gentle installation is safest for plastic and delicate mechanisms.
    A small cotter pin may work, but won't fit tightly. An open wing window can rattle in the wind and loosen or wear parts.
    I agree that the mom and pop hardware stores are all but gone and replaced by the big box retailers. Still many of them have those drawers for some hardware selection.
    As for size, you may want to insert brads or pieces of solid wire to find an approximate size and bring it with you for reference.

5. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Tension pins have a cut down the length of the pin. Idea is to use one that is slightly larger than the opening being secured. As you insert it the pin compresses and keeps constant pressure / tension so as to eliminate any slop or wobble or looseness.

I have seen tension pins in the hardware section at Lowes and Home Depot. Depending upon your location in North America, you may be close to a farm and ranch supply chain store (eg. Tractor Supply). These types of stores would have tension pins in hardware department.