Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2000 Intrepid/ radiator fan sensor

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by geraldg, Apr 26, 2017.

1. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

It has the 3.2 engine. so where is it located, the fan is running weird. Yesterday took the car out and when I turned on the A/C the fans came on. Parked it and shut it off and started the engine they where off, did this right away.

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Cooling fans are designed to turn on whenever the A/C compressor is engaged. This is normal.

3. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I know that they come on with the A/C but the thing is when I pulled into the garage and shut the A/C off the fans kept running , shut the car off and 3 seconds later started it and they did not come on, The temp was high here so they should have come on without the A/C working.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

OK, so possible that the coolant temp sensor showed the engine hot enough to run the fans immediately after the A/C was shut off, but cooled down just below the turn-on threshold before the restart. Those thermistors have a very steep resistance-to-temperature curve. I have seen them change over 1K ohm per second.

5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Not necessarily. I've shut off the AC on my Ram, the fan continued running, but when I restarted the truck a few minutes later the AC fan remained off. Like Bob posted the curve is pretty steep.

6. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Like I said it was 3 to 4 seconds when I turned it back on. Also I know that a car that sits for a few moments can actually be hotter than when you shut if off because nothing is working in the cooling system to cool it off.

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Commonly called "Heat soak". But that is the engine and not the AC system.

8. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

Do you have the automatic temperature control (or the manual HVAC system)? I had a 1998 Dodge Intreped ES with the 3.2L and the automatic HVAC. It began doing something similar to what you posted and eventually one of the fans continued to run. I had to replace the automatic temperature control module (not sure it that is the exact name) - which was under the right front dash.

9. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Drove the car today and the A/C worked then it didn't. checked the compressor and pushing the button you could hear the compressor kicking on but not cold. Looking to recharge it and see one fitting on the compressor but couldn't find the other one where is it at ?

10. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Both high and low charge ports are on the compressor manifold. They were delivered with "H" and "L" caps, one or both of which may be missing or have been replaced.

As for the fans, the ECU has both an ON temperature as well as an OFF temperature. If you turned A/C on, the threshold for temp may have been below ON but above OFF, meaning the fans would have stayed on until either a power cycle or until they hit the OFF threshold for temp.

If your system has a freon leak, it may be the evaporator. Both LH cars I've owned had the evaps fail. It's common, their lifespan is only about 10-15 years. I verified it by using UV dye, and putting newspaper down to catch the condensed water coming out of the system.

11. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    As you can see, there is a fan on temp and fan off temp AND fan off TIME for multiple situations including intake air temps, trans temps, and A/C pressures!