AF: 2001 2.7 sebring convertible issues | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 2.7 sebring convertible issues

Discussion in 'Welcome to Allpar!' started by WhiteAndOrange, Jun 15, 2016.

1. WhiteAndOrange

So I bought a 2001 2.7 sebring convertible that has been owned by an old man who took very good care of it but he removed the back cat and then I remove the muffler after a pot hole incident. But anyway I un bolted the pipe behind the muffler and now it has trouble accelerating, it misses at idle, it smells bad, theres liquid that drips out of the exhaust, and it blows white smoke. And I'm not sure if this is related to it but the thermostat gauge hardly ever moves and the ac will sometimes blow hot. Does anyone know what these issues are and how to fix them. And please no one give me this bull about how 2.7s are junk motors and should be just tossed out this 2.7 has had a oil change with only high grade synthetic oil every 3000 miles since it lefted the dealer ship and it doesn't have a spec of sludge even at 150000+ miles

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

First you have to determine if the white smoke is water vapor or oil smoke. If it's water vapor and you have coolant (as opposed to normal condensation) dripping out the exhaust, you may have a blown head gasket or other internal damage allowing water into the combustion chamber.
    I would expect some movement of the coolant temp gauge from cold start to operating temperature, but little once the car warms up.

Are you having to all oil or coolant?

3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. How does the dipstick and underneath the oil filler cap look? Any mayonnaise that would indicate moisture in the crankcase?
    Are there any fault codes or does it seem to be running rich? Some condensation out the exhaust may be normal, but I think that heavy white smoke could be a symptom of problems.
    The thermostat may be removed if someone was trying to resolve an overheating issue. This would keep the temperature gauge reading very low.
    You will need a catalytic converter and rear O2 sensor to have the engine run well. They need to be there.
    How do the spark plug tips look? Any carbon fouling? That could cause poor acceleration and misfire. Are they the correct Champion or NGK spark plug?