AF: 2001 Intrepid replaced transmission and now it won't try to start | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 Intrepid replaced transmission and now it won't try to start

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by kcapri13, Sep 2, 2019.

1. kcapri13

kcapri13 Active Member

I have replaced the transmission in my daughter 2001 Intrepid, when I turn the key the starter does not engage. I have noticed that all the charioteers in the shift quadrant light up. I have adjusted the shift cable as per the Factory manual. I have checked that all connectors are plugged into the transmission. Any suggestions.

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

The neutral safety switch is preventing the starter from engaging. To test this, make certain the car is in Park and parking brake firmly engaged. Unplug the neutral safety switch, jumper the plug with a paper clip, then with one foot on the service brake, try to start the car. If it cranks, the switch or its adjustment is bad.
    Test the switch by unplugging and measuring the resistance across its contacts in Park and Neutral - should be zero or near zero ohms, and open (infinity) in all other gear ranges. If switch tests good, either harness is damaged or the shift cable is not adjusted properly so that the contact line up correctly.

3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If all the PRND3L shift quadrants are lit, then you may have no shifter signal at the TCM The starter won't engage unless it knows that it is in Park or Neutral.
    Make sure that the TRS plug is fully seated into the connector with the retainer bolt holding it down.
    The same 42LE assembly should work for 1998-2002 model years.

4. kcapri13

kcapri13 Active Member

Thanks IC, I hope to be able to work on it this weekend