AF: 2001 PT wont start on the coldest day so far | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 PT wont start on the coldest day so far

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Srinath, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Srinath

Srinath Member

I will put allen bolts on the solenoid replacing the phllips ones, so I can take it off when I need to and test it separately.
    Cool.
    Srinath.

2. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

As a note, I removed the grill and loosened the upper radiator support. This allowed me to pull the radiator and fan forward enough to remove the starter from the top.

3. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Do you have an automatic or manual trans?

And a Turbo or NA?

4. 06PTElectricBlue

This is from the Service Manual:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 06PTElectricBlue

Also from the Service Manual:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Srinath

Srinath Member

Mine is automatic non turbo.
    I think an air ratchet will get it out no problem. I have got the socket on it with the breaker bar, it hits the intake plenum before it starts to turn the bolt head. And air ratchet will get it out no worries. So airbox, battery and tray and out with it - let me see if that works.
    Cool.
    Srinath.

7. Srinath

Srinath Member

The air ratchet will get on it, but 50 lb-ft harbor freight isn't enough to break it free. If I could get it that 1/8th turn loose with my breaker bar, it will come off like butter.
    Cool.
    Srinath.

8. Srinath

Srinath Member

I removed the fan and it came out, in fact the bottom bolt of the starter wasn't even torqued that hard. Just that the breaker bar angle wasn't letting me turn it in the tighter space. I can only imagine that it will come off with a real air ratchet. But, I wont be the one to prove that, sadly.
    Cool.
    Srinath.

9. Srinath

Srinath Member

New starter is in and its starting up fine now.
    The car seems to vibrate more pretty much just idling. Can a new starter cause this ?
    Thanks.
    Srinath.

10. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I've never experienced more vibration by swapping starters. Make sure you check all of your engine mounts. Sounds more like one of them is broken or torn to me. Also make sure all of your plug wires are properly seated on the spark plugs. It could be that simple.

Doug D likes this.
  11. Srinath

Srinath Member

The car vibrates more when stopped in gear and its cold and the rattle seems to be from the rear ,where I have put a load of crap in the shelves (I have 4 shelves crammed in all 3 positions plus the vertical one) I suspect one of the plastic and metal and whatever I have crammed in them is hitting something else. Or sympathetic or resonance or whatever. Now as it warmed up it goes away.
    I had my wife drive it because she's been in the passenger seat when my son drives it, and she said it feels like it always did. So I am guessing I have just got un-used to it.
    It has that weird handling issue now, some bit of juddering which seems to act up in 1 section of highway worse than anywhere else. But I'll be ignoring that for now. May do an alignment in a bit though. I call this starter fix as done.
    Cool.
    Srinath.

12. Srinath

Srinath Member

And it didn't start again, exact symptoms as before. I towed it to my mechanic and he cleaned the battery connections and replaced the clamps.
    Looks like I replaced the starter for nothing and you guys were all right the first time.
    Cool.
    Srinath.