AF: 2001 Sebring Convertible needs a good home | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 Sebring Convertible needs a good home

Discussion in 'Cars for Sale or swap' started by CJSebring, Sep 16, 2018.

1. CJSebring

CJSebring Member

Hey guys, I am new to the forums. I have a 2001 chrysler sebring convertible that I have had for years. It has high miles (189k) and I have worked hard to keep it on the road with good parts. I am at an impasse in that i cant keep fixing it but it is so clean (no rust on it since it has been garage kept for years) i cant bring myself to scrap it. I tend to get attached to machines and I am looking for a good home for it. I had to buy a replacement car as my chrysler was not a reliable daily. I frequent forums myself and I cant think of a better place to find someone who might be interested. I realize it is aged and probably should be crushed, but i wanted to give this a shot first.

I have a list of parts i have replaced:

Moog problem solver lower control arms
    Upper control arms front and rear
    Struts and springs front and rear
    Strut mounts front and rear
    Outer tie rods
    Oil pressure switch
    Motor mount
    Starter and alternator rebuild
    Michelin Tires
    Drivers wheel bearing
    Recent brakes and rotors up front
    New brakes and rotors at the rear
    oil changes religiously on the 3k mark (i am familiar with the sludge issue on the 2.7L).
    Transmission fluid changes every 40-50k.
    Coolant flush and replacement with Chysler brand coolant at 100k.
    Platinum spark plugs

For the bad:

Does not run due to PCM failure (had the PCM tested. Requires verification of sensor shorts and rebuilt PCM)
    leaks 1 quart of oil every 1500 miles. I have a replacement pan gasket and timing chain cover gasket you can have
    Drivers window on its way out. I have a replacement power window motor you can have
    Air conditioning not functional
    Trunk collects water and i suspect it is due to the rear of the fabric top

Hit me up on PM if you are interested. I have photos but i didn't see an attachment button.

2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I see you're in Michigan. A ballpark figure on what you're wanting for it might help you to move it. Sounds like a good project for someone with a couple of grand to spend.

3. CJSebring

CJSebring Member

Hey Chuzz. Yeah i am in michigan but i could meet someone half way if they are a distance. Honestly i have gone out of my way to store, wash and take good care of this thing and I am trying to line up with someone who will enjoy it as much as I have. Given what i can get for it scrap i figured $300 takes it with the extra parts and all.

4. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I think that's a fair price. Too bad I'm an old, broke man. I have the time to work on one but no money. I had to borrow money from my son to pay the water bill last month.

5. CJSebring

CJSebring Member

Hey guys. I decided to repair it. I replaced the PCM and it is running. I am looking for $1200. It has been in the garage every winter since we bought it in 2004.

Imgur (at https://imgur.com/a/Z9Ywnkn )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

7. CJSebring

CJSebring Member

Thanks GLHS60

8. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Looks nice, GLWS!!

Thanks
    Randy

9. CJSebring

CJSebring Member

Hey guys. Not a lot of interest on this one. Wife is planning to scrap it soon. Runs. $300 for a good home.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I'd be there if it was around 1500 miles closer

11. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Its a shame ...I always thought you can't go wrong with a Sebring convertible. dollar for dollar you can't beat it.

12. CJSebring

CJSebring Member

I honestly appreciate the love on the car, guys. If anyone can appreciate being attached to machinery i am glad i am among like minds.

Dave z. I appreciate the thought man.

Voiceofstl I completely agree. my FIL and my dad were MOPAR guys big time and i started as a Ford guy. My GF bought this when we were early 20s. We have driven this thing for 15 years through college and all and she has never left me stranded if you keep on top of the maintenance. As long as the oil gets changed at 3k I avoided the sludge issues, and 30k on the transmission fluid changes. It has been solid 28mpg as long as i have had it. The powertrain folks at Chrysler have my utmost respect. This car gets a lot of hate from people but to be honest my chevy blazer that i got for free has eaten more money and parts than this car ever has.

Dave Z likes this.
  13. george w

Level III Supporter

Now that it's running what not just keep it at least through next summer ? The PCM, if replaced with a brand new one, is not likely to fail again.You should be able to determine the source of the water leak and correct that. It could simply be dirt and debris build up the the drain trough that runs inside under the bottom perimeter of top where it meets the body. The other issues should be minor if you're a DIY guy.

chuzz likes this.