AF: 2002 1500 Ram Van, compartment pressurizing preventing sliding door from closing | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2002 1500 Ram Van, compartment pressurizing preventing sliding door from closing

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Laser86, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Laser86

Laser86 Member

So it appears that the compartment is pressurizing and preventing the sliding side door from completely closing, if I open the passenger door and then slide the door shut all is good however. I did notice that there are vents in the rear tail lights, however they do not seem to be doing the trick. Any suggestions ?

Also, what is some good lubrication to use or maintenance that should be performed on the sliding door / tracks ? This is the first van I owned with a sliding door.

Also, what is some good lubrication that should be used on all of the other door hinges ? Key locks ?

Also, what can be used on the door weather stripping to try and keep it in good condition ?

2. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

When did this all start?
    Yes, there are vents to prevent what you are experiencing. Have you looked to see that the rubber flaps are not stuck? On a 17 year old ride, things like that happen!
    Baby powder works on the sealing areas.

Do you have a service manual? If not, get one. It'll tell you the recommended lube.
    Probably white lithium grease.

As far as weather stripping, you may want to hunt for NOS ones. They have a time limit on usefulness. You could try armor all, or something similar, but that's a temporary remedy.

#2 DC-93, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  3. Laser86

Laser86 Member

I just got the van last week and it has been doing this since then. Even with the plastic vent assemblies removed the same thing is happening, the door will nor close, easily at least, unless I open the passenger side front door, maybe it is an adjustment for all I know. Supposedly the person I bought the van from had the dealer replace anything that could need replacement.

The door seals / weather stripping appear to be in good condition (except the weather stripping by the bottom of the drivers side door on rocker / kick panel, it is ripped, is this still available ?), so I was wondering what I could apply to them to keep them in good condition for at least as long as I can. What is NOS ?

What service manual would you recommend ? Vehicle is in very good condition and I would like to try and prolong as many items on the van as possible by being proactive, not many of these Ram Vans driving around up North and a lot of items are hard to come by.

#3 Laser86, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  4. Laser86

Laser86 Member

Must have been a coincidence that the sliding door was fully closing with the front passenger door open, or maybe the passenger door being open had something to do with the sliding door closing. However, after watching a you tube video, and reading the owners manual, the sliding door is not meant to slide and latch in one action. First, the door is slid forward until the front latch catches, then the door handle (outside handle) is lifted upward, this draws the rear of the door inward causing the rear of the door to latch, ooops. Actually a pretty slick design.

5. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

NOS = new old stock. A MoPar part that is new, never installed and ORIGINAL, made around the time your van was made, or a bit after.

The FACTORY service manual. Avoid aftermarket ones...