AF: 2002 1500 Ram Van with dual exhaust side pipes ? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2002 1500 Ram Van with dual exhaust side pipes ?

Discussion in 'Vans' started by Laser86, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Laser86

Laser86 Member

Looking at a 2002 Dodge 1500 Ram Van for sale, V6, very low mileage, body is in excellent condition, undercarriage is very clean.

Vehicle was prior in an emission testing state, but now is in a non emission testing state, vehicle has dual side exhaust pipes running along the side of the vehicle, is it possible to have a dual exhaust set up like this and pass emissions ? Seller stating vehicle has dual catalytic converters now and came from the factory with dual catalytic converters.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It may not pass in California, but as long as the cats and O2 sensors are intact and the OBDII readiness monitors have run, then it should pass your state inspection.
    The 'ck eng' light needs to work and needs to go out after starting.

3. Laser86

Laser86 Member

Supposedly the check engine light works. Wasn't sure if an 02 came factory with dual catalytic converters.

4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I can’t say for sure if your van did, but many trucks of that vintage had dual catalysts.

One way to tell for sure is to see if there is an O2 sensor in front of and behind each catalyst. Dual catalysts will have 4 O2 sensors.

5. Laser86

Laser86 Member

Four O2 sensors is what I will be looking for, auto parts store only showed two O2 sensors, figured I would ask the experts.

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

If it’s like my 2008 Dakota, it used three of one sensor and one of another kind. So only two different ones.

7. Laser86

Laser86 Member

Was looking up the exhaust system for that year. The exhaust system showed only one catalytic converter. Exhaust system diagram showed a pipe coming off of each manifold and meeting at the converter inlet, which is where the upstream O2 sensor is located, then another O2 sensor located after the converter. Was questioning how the dual exhaust was accomplished. Parts guy did pull up something off of the Internet showing two catalytic converters, but I believe that was for a V6 1997. Figure the book may be limited.

8. Laser86

Laser86 Member

Caught a Greyhound to Alabama to look at the van and ended up buying it.

The exhaust, along with the paint, flames, and pin striping, was done in California, which is where the van was originally from.

Only one catalytic converter, exhaust comes off of each manifold then wye,s before and after the catalytic converter, then back toward the front of the van and then out the sides, looks like it was some pretty good work whoever did it. Has a nice sound to it, sort of low pitched (for a V6), not loud at all.

37, 000 original miles.
    2002 Dodge exhaust system.jpg

2002 Dodge driver side.jpg

#8 Laser86, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  9. Laser86

Laser86 Member

First V6 I owned in a van, the rest have been V8's, what I find surprising is that on the highway you do not need a lot of RPM to maintain speed, however, van is definitely not geared low from a start. I am not abusive with my V8s but they have no problem taking a heavy peddle, seems like this engine would probably bog, which is fine, teach me to be more gentle with the V6, just have to change my driving habits.

10. Stephen

Stephen Active Member

Nice fire! Those flames look professionally applied, much better than the homemade ones you generally find out there. This one also has reversed lettering on the hood's leading edge, ON FIRE FOR JESUS.
    IMG_5991.JPG

11. Laser86

Laser86 Member

That looks nice, always liked the Chrysler minivan, a brilliant idea at the time, wasn't Chrysler the first minivan and didn't they corner the market for many years ? That looks like an earlier one, I drove one of those for my job way back when.

Word is painted by a well known person in Northern California, Carlos something ..... wasn't looking for flames or side pipes just happened to be on a clean low mileage vehicle, so what do you do ? In a bit of a quandary though, not sure how to use the vehicle now that I got it, was going to use it for work, but then do not want to ruin it, but then what else is a cargo van for other than to use it for it's intended purpose and to drive it and for the artwork on it to be seen ? Not as if it is a Road Runner, or Barracuda, or ECT .... the guy I bought it from opinion was every construction van is white, something like this would be good for business, I kind of agree. I need a van, but sort of dreaded another white van like 80 % of them are.

#11 Laser86, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  12. Laser86

Laser86 Member

Are you allowed to put Chrysler door lock scratch guards on a Dodge ? Is Chrysler synonymous with GM and Ford ?

Chrysler door lock key guard.jpg

13. Laser86

Laser86 Member

Does anybody know where you can get some clear door lock scratch guards ?

14. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Being that your exhaust is stock to the downstream sensor; emissions complance anywhere should be a nonissue.

IF you wanted to get 'froggy'; I see no reason why you couldn't swap in a 2004+ 5.7L Ram 1500 Hemi V8, OBD II and all, with its factory twin catalysts, into your Ram van and, keep your sidepipes. Such a sway would be from a light duty pickup, same year or newer, into your B1500 so, emissions compliance should be 100% legal anywhere, even Calif.

15. Laser86

Laser86 Member

Lol, I don't mind the V6, she is definitely geared on the high end though, even in first.

Bearhawke likes this.
  16. Laser86

Laser86 Member

The van did pass emissions, passed the on board plug test.