AF: 2002 Concorde Lxi skids left while making right turns on wet roads | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2002 Concorde Lxi skids left while making right turns on wet roads

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by patricklynch, Jan 21, 2019.

1. patricklynch

patricklynch Mopar starship captain

As the subject line says, my 2002 Concorde Lxi on a wet road will skid left while making a right turn at speeds above 15 mph. But if you are making a left turn under the same circumstances, it does not skid right. On dry roads this doesn't happen at all. The tires are 2 year old Kenda Kenecticas whose tire pressure is kept at 35 PSI. The front struts are four year old Monroe SensaCraps which the passenger strut mount sounds like it has gone bad over bumps or other rough surfaces.

My question is: Are the tires or the struts the source of my problem? Or is it something else altogether?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by ImperialCrown, Jan 22, 2019
  3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

How is the toe-in? The rubber inner tie rod bushings were known to disintegrate after some years.

patricklynch likes this.
  4. patricklynch

I replaced the inner tie rod bushings about three years ago with some Moog Problem Solvers. I'm going to do a front strut replacement again and go with KYB this time instead of Monroes and replace the already crapped out Auto Zone sway bar end links while I'm at it. I pushed up and down on that end of the car and I can hear the strut bearing making quite a noise. These things don't even have 30K on them yet.

5. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

LH car inner tie rod bushings: I've changed a few sets over the years and, if even only one side is sloppy, they can cause all sorts of weird steering problems. The irony is the 1998-04 LH models, even with the bigger V6, said bushings are surprisingly easy to replace, once the air intake system's been removed.

patricklynch likes this.
  6. patricklynch

I'm hoping it's not the inner tie bushings already. I do have a spare set of bushings if they have to be done again and I agree, they are easy to replace. It was quite a pleasant surprise actually. What about the engine cradle bushings? I see mine are totally shot and I have the parts on hand but found I can break none of the bolts loose by hand and without my doing anything, one of them just spins because I suspect the welded nut inside is broken. I'm wondering if crapped out cradle bushings are allowing just enough movement to give me problems.

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If the cradle is slopping around, it will steer the car. Try moving it with a prybar with the body safely supported by jackstands and the rear wheels chocked.
    The cradle bolts are cad-plated, so they shouldn't rust. There is threadlock on them and gentle heating of the bolt will soften the threadlock and allow the bolt to turn easier.
    You don't want to heat it to anywhere near a temperature that would damage the rubber bushing or start a carpet fire.
    If the 'blind' nut in the frame rail has already spun, see if there is a nearby hole to stick a bar into to hold the nut-flat still while you spin out the bolt. An air-impact tool works better than hand tools. Sometimes if you zing the bolt back in tight and then loosen it again a few times it will eventually come out.

Bearhawke and patricklynch like this.
  8. patricklynch

That is really good info. So, you're saying if the cradle can be moved with a prybar, that is probably the source of the steering quirk? I've had replacing the bushings on my list for awhile. I was afraid of possibly breaking more of the blind nuts after I found the first one already broken and I was also afraid using an air tool would snap off the others. Makes me think someone before I got the car had attempted this and broke the nut and decided not to touch any of the others. I will try the gentle heating of the bolts. My new bushings come with replacement bolts. While the car has other fixable problems, I think the cradle bushings just went to the top of this list.

9. patricklynch

The Concorde had been off the road for some time waiting for me to replace rusted out brake lines so I finally got a chance to look at the inner tie rod bushings. To my shock, the left side bushing was gone with only the metal sleeve bouncing off the bolt, and the rod that bolts to the inner tie rods was bouncing back and forth which accounted for that noise I thought was my right front strut. I had a spare Moog kit so I replaced the missing one. The other bushing looked like it did the day I replaced it. Have to admit bewilderment as to how the rubber could disappear like that and hope it doesn't do it again. The test drive was very satisfying and a check of the outer tie rods showed they were both fine. I suspect the toe-in needs a little adjustment. Also discovered when I got a better look at it that my right front tire had wear on the inside and needs replacing. Hopefully, my budget will let me just replace all of the tires with something better than the Kendas...

Thanks to everyone who suggested the inner tie rod bushings, that was the first thing I checked and all of you were correct.

Bearhawke, page2171, JA Cumbo and 3 others like this.