Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2002 SEBRING COUPE POWER LOSS

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by TEDDZ, Dec 10, 2017.

1. TEDDZ

TEDDZ New Member

I Have a 2002 Sebring coupe with a 3.0 liter and im to solve issues with my car. I had a run problem last year no power and misfires, i replaced mass air flow sensor map sensor and finally replaced the distributor and the problem was solved, Unfortunately the catalytic converter bank 1 was damaged from misfires I replaced the cat with a walker ultra converter and 2 new o2 sensors upstream and downstream Denso. the car starts and runs when putting a load on the motor it will downshift and not up-shift unless gas pedal is released and lite throttle applied, power flattens out.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. So this power loss has only been since the cat and O2 sensors replacement?
    Do the spark plug tips indicate any rich (black) or lean (white) issues? Are the Fuel Trim or Adaptives showing positive (adding fuel) or negative (removing fuel)?
    There was a spark plug update mentioned in TSB 18-030-05 to Champion RC10PYP4. Are the plugs correct and have they been done? Since the upper intake has to come off, you may as well replace wires too.
    The other portion of the TSB details an ECM software update that addresses cold start and performance issues. Most FCA dealers should be able to do that if it hasn't been done:
    Score! Im about to pull the trigger on a '02 Sebring coupe... (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/score-im-about-to-pull-the-trigger-on-a-02-sebring-coupe.161953/ )

3. TEDDZ

TEDDZ New Member

I looked at it today and i think i have cat material blocking the exhaust, I hit the exhaust with a rubber hammer and rattles were heard, the inside of the old cat had material missing, Im going to take it off next weekend, thanks for the added help.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Yes. If the cat disintegrated, the pieces would blow downstream and could restrict the exhaust flow through the muffler.

5. TEDDZ

TEDDZ New Member

The exhaust was taken off and emptied and 3 hands full of material came out of the exhaust. The material was trapped by the third catalytic converter. I reinstalled the exhaust and normal operation was restored and it passed emissions.

ImperialCrown likes this.