AF: 2003 300M Special - "The Gray Ghost" | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 300M Special - "The Gray Ghost"

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by longlivechrysler, May 19, 2014.

1. longlivechrysler

longlivechrysler The Negative Optimist

Welp. I wanted to start this thread to talk about my "new" car and all the cool stuff I planned to do with it. But now, I already have a few questions on repairs, before I could even get to the cool stuff...

[​IMG]

First off, I had a slight run-in with the too-tiny drivethrough at Taco Bell and loosened the left side of the front bumper and I'm not sure how to fix it. Secondly, just this past week, I came back to my car after work to see someone had done this to the other side of my front:

[​IMG]

Bleh, right?

ALSO, here in SoCal, I have to curb my wheels quite a bit at home and I think I was a little overzealous with it and now my steering wheel is not straight. My alignment seems fine, but the wheel, itself, is off center.

Lastly, I promise, my tire pressure sensor kept saying my rear left tire was low. I checked. Nothing wrong. But every day, the pressure kept getting lower. Finally, I realized both, the RIGHT rear tire was actually the one lowering and that the tire pressure monitor is incorrect or, switched around.

So, are there any (relatively affordable) suggestions on what can be done about these four concerns; the loose right side of the bumper, the busted right fender, the steering wheel, and correcting the tire pressure monitor?

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions you might have. I hope to use this thread for what it was intended: to discuss the updates and mods on what will become "The Gray Ghost"...

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Sorry about the body damage. You may want to have a local body shop appraise and estimate the damage, just to get an idea of what you are looking at. Used fenders should be available. If the bumper plastic retainers got pulled out or broken, they can be replaced.
    Is the steering loose at all? Does it wander? The rubber inner tie rod bushings at the rack were known for disintegrating on these. Check the health of outer tie rod ends and ball joints/control arm bushings/cradle bushings, etc.
    Someone may have rotated the tire positions without re-learning the TPM sensors. There should be a training ring magnet in the spare tire compartment(?) and the learning procedure using your EVIC is in your owners manual. The RR sensor may still think that it is on the LR.

longlivechrysler likes this.
  3. longlivechrysler

longlivechrysler The Negative Optimist

Thanks for the quick response. The steering is fine, as far as I can tell, just the wheel is off-center. It only had 54k miles on it when I got it so I think I read I had about 10-20k more before I need to start looking for falling items, lol.

When I reached behind the bumper it felt, ...not good. Didn't feel like things were going to just snap together. There were some loose pieces of plastic, but I couldn't really see what it was. I was thinking, at the time, maybe some plastic pieces needed replacing. Glad to hear that might be the case. I wanted to replace the amber turn signals with white or smoked ones with LEDs as one of the mods. Should I wait til I get those to have the mechanic add that to the repair, or just do it myself afterward? (My skill level is at 0)

Thanks again, for reading.