Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi 4x4 auto

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by Devildodge, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

So, after a few months of sitting while we did other things, finally got the Hemi inspected. It is having an oxygen sensor fit and is probably ready for some spark plugs.

Just like the 99 V10, rust has taken a toll, but the truck has lots of life left.

Got to figure out why the defroster won't work and have to get the sensors done.

Kinda excited to give it a chance to haul the camper again and see if it can impress me once I give it a Lil tlc.

Other than some repair panels and getting the fenders and hood we have put on it, there isn't too much to do but use it.

[​IMG]

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

When you say the defroster doesn't work, do you mean the air won't change to the defrost from the floor or dash vents? If so, it is probably a HVAC door failure (not the motors) in the mode 1 and/or mode 2 doors. This is a fairly common issue for the '02-'08 Rams. The doors are driven by motors (actuators) and each door has a stop pin. Over time the stop pins crack or break and the door movement fails.

This is an expensive repair at a dealer or shop ($1,000+) since it involves a lot of labor time. There is a kit available from Heater Treater where you can get steel doors to install. However, it will require cutting into the HVAC plumbing. Also the mode 2 door (controls floor/defrost) is inaccessible unless the entire dash is removed as there is a steel frame positioned such that you can't access it by cutting.

Shane Estabrooks and Devildodge like this.
  3. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Yes, that is what i mean. I have looked into the stuff you had said. So far that was all the further I did was research.

4. Doug D

Okay. I still haven't repaired mine. The mode 2 door failed around 50K miles and the mode 1 door failed sometime after 225K miles (last year sometime).

5. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

We have only had this truck since last May. It was broke when we got it. I would assume that is what is wrong, but haven't really checked.

I never liked the 3rd Gen trucks til the wife found this one. It is growing on me. Really wish it was a stick shift, but I can't really complain about the auto. It shifts fine and seems to be set up well with the motor...just after driving the V10 and our 2013 Cummins we no longer have...it is so weird to have to Rev an engine for power. The V10 barely sees over 2500 and the Hemi isn't happy til about 4500. But man after the odd sound of the V10...I sure do love to hear that Hemi roar.

6. Doug D

Yes, the Hemi loves to rev. It's true torque begins around 2500 rpms.

7. NYBo

Level III Supporter

Looks like the headlights could use a little TLC, too.

8. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Yep, they are faded and scratched. They are being replaced when the fenders and hood are after winter.

9. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Brake line that runs behind the fuel tank to the rear blew out. Got that to fix.

10. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

The list keeps growing. .well at least you can refer back to this post to see where you left off... :D

11. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Yeah. That is the plan the same as my one for my 99. Keeps me remembering what I said I would do and what I need to do and what have done.

Sure beats 600 bucks a month for a new truck. Simple maintenance and a few inconveniences.

I just can't wait til I can talk myself into that 2017 Ram Powerwagon. But don't have the means to do it payment free...yet