AF: 2003 GT Turbo AUTOSTICK | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 GT Turbo AUTOSTICK

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Bill AZ, May 25, 2020.

1. Bill AZ

Bill AZ Member

Back to the best site, gave my Grandson the PT which has "auto stick". Told him "don't use it" yea right (21). I have manual options on my other cars and have never used them. Dumb question, can you blow the trans up if you don't have a clue how to use it, my Grandson said it worked great for him although the check engine came on with the P0700 which we cleared.

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

AutoStick will force a shift up or down to protect the engine or transmission. Its unlikely that the code is related to using this feature.

3. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

This question relates to your post dated May 11, 2020 about code P0700. This is a generic code indicating the transmission controller portion of the PCM (powertrain control module) detected an abnormal condition. So you probably have code P0740 and/or P0841 again. P0740 indicates excess slippage in the torque converter clutch. Using the performance enhancement of AutoStick creates more torque on that clutch and causing clutch slippage. If he keeps pushing acceleration on this car in this manner he will be walking on foot in the very near future.

Bill AZ and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  4. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

I'm afraid that the Grandson won't head any warnings, as he's probably already set in his way and he knows best, because he thinks it work great ;)

Maybe it would do him some good to be walking for a while, or he pays for the repairs when he tears it up, then he can do whatever he wants to :)

chuzz likes this.
  5. Handy_Cruiser

Level 2 Supporter

It's pretty easy to the replace the Autoshifter with a standard one from a salvage PT. They will all fit. Another fix is just to lift the console and unplug the Autoshifter. The only down side is that you won't be able to put it in low gear manually. But who does that often anyway?

[​IMG]

War_eagle, chuzz, Bill AZ and 2 others like this.
  6. Bill AZ

Bill AZ Member

Great Idea, thanks

7. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

You'd best hope nothing happens to the cooling fans on that GT. 03 is a one year only setup and finding cooling fans and wiring plugs is EXPENSIVE. That was another reason for me selling the one I had. I miss driving it, but I DON'T miss working on it.

8. 421 SD Poncho

421 SD Poncho Active Member

"
    This is an easy solution that I found many many years ago. The following is a quote for the solution I found:

"My GT03 was overheating terribly and the culprit seemed to be a failing radiator fan. The replacement from the dealer costs in excess of 600c and healthy second-hand radiator fans are nowhere to be found, especially since the GT needs a rare 4Pin connector. So I decided to experiment with a used Mercedes radiator fan that had a 4Pin connector and shared the exact same fan motor. Mind you, the Mercedes fan assembly is much more popular and I managed to get a healthy used one for 180c.

All that remained was to keep the original fan blades, switch the motor and connector and it worked like a charm!

A few things to note:
    1. This solution applies to a GT 03 Auto. Can't say if it will work for others.
    2. You need to keep the failed radiator fan assembly. Don't throw it away!
    3. My GT 03 had a radiator fan with a BOSCH motor with part number 1137328108. Mind you, this is the motor part number, not the fan assembly part number.
    4. The Mercedes W211 Fan assembly with Part Number 2115001693 has an identical BOSCH motor to the fan motor in the GT, with part number 1137328108.
    5. The Mercedes fan module does NOT fit the GT as is. Only the motor and connector are identical. So split the failed GT fan assembly open, scrap the failed motor, put in the motor from the Mercedes part and you're done. Even the connector cable length is identical."

chuzz and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  9. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

They should have just gone with a simple, single (high) speed fan, instead of this one year variable speed, and the 2-speed fan in all the others, and that would also eliminate programming the PCM to get input on vehicle speed.

Much simpler design, based on a temp sensor, when the vehicle needs cooling, the high speed fan comes on.

chuzz and Handy_Cruiser like this.